Active Tools

Loop Cut (Active Tool version) received some improvements. It works in a click->slide->release gesture. Since it’s effectively a single button press it makes it graphic tablet friendly (gif was done with graphic tablet for example).

loopcut

Also some topbar options were added.
loopcut

10 Likes

Bisect works with multi-object-editing now:

Bevel updated too. New options on topbar and confirm on release.

bevel

6 Likes

It seems like bisect is having hard time to fill up Suzanne, she stays wild open :smile:

I think it’s the eyes that mess with it—since they’re separate geometry. If I cut it on a plane that doesn’t intersect the eyes it seems to work.

monkey

5 Likes

Yes indeed.
Btw It seems like you are fast making those gif, what tool do you use? I suck at making .gif, it is usual a tedious process with gimp :frowning:

I use a program called Silentcast on Linux. Honestly, it’s kind of clumsy, but gets the job done.

Loopcut is working in a single click.
I was wondering how the left click would be efficient with multicuts already slided.
Campbell added multicut setting today.
Unfortunately, preview is not working, yet. And there is no improvement of the tool in that area.
I would like to be able to slide 2 cuts in opposite directions.
Imagine that you want to double edges at the caps of a cylinder. For this kind of cases, it would be fast to just do one multicut loopcut with cuts at both tips of edges.

New icons. (not sure why Extrude Region is missing)

4 Likes

Sorry man, but those icons are really ugly compared to the previous ones…
Why they changed the icons, who asked for it?

Huge regression… Disappointed as hell…
Oof…

I like the new transform/grab/rotate/scale icons. They’ll fit better in the non-3d modes I think (UV editor for example).

I’m not sure about the rest yet. New icons always feel really jarring at first, but after awhile I tend to barely notice them.

1 Like

There is a need for icons for future toolbars of other editors.
They will have to produce a lot of them.
Previous ones were nicer with shadowing but it took time to fix readability of most of them.

I think that they want to avoid to take too much time making future icons of other toolbars.
So, they move them to a simpler look.

I can live with that, they are not so bad… But the rest looks cheap/flat/mobile like… They are trading uniqueness in favour of this trendy generic look, which is bad.

Could you show me how this looks on a light theme?

@zeauro
If there are technical limitation reasons for those changes, then it’s ok, otherwise we are doomed… (look at what is happening with the workspaces :man_facepalming:)

They’re illegible on Flatty Light.

As expected! :man_facepalming:

Mono icon Color will probably become a theming option.

1 Like

The UI team clearly lack experience in UI/UX development, and blender will suffer because of that.

If you use windows, ShareX is the best for that: https://getsharex.com/

1 Like

That is quite the bold statement.

But yeah… i’m not liking it either. I’m too used to old program buttons that were more descriptive of the action and less flat. the whole mono/material/“f*ck depth shading and contours” doesn’t sit well with me.

Might be a generation thing. I grew with the windows XP/Iphone 3/4 style icons, that were very detailed and full of nuances.

Do this specific area (user interface) has a document with all the guidelines, objectives and design philosophy?

I will have a look at it, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even though i trying to be positive about the change but i having hard time to buy this reason :frowning: Not happy about the new icon