Active Tools

don’t worry this is not like removing a feature or replacing it with another…this probably a temp code to find a workaround the limitation, blender has the unorthodox right click and the 3d Cursor which make it hard to standardize it …but we’ll have time to test it.

I don’t know. It would be nice to just have a button in toolbar. But it is more powerful as an option.
You can work with lots of tools with option on almost like a mode.

After thinking about it, I would just move the option inside Vertex menu as first item.

I think it is a legitimate question.
change does not look like it was done correctly. Transform tool gizmo has click anywhere behavior OFF.
But all the others have a click anywhere behavior ON.

The idea is that LMB clicking anywhere will either set the 3D cursor or select an object (depending if using RMB or LMB select), and dragging anywhere executes the tool. This is intended to make the option obsolete.

The combined transform tool for some reason seems to be wrong though.

1 Like

For combined Transform tool, the idea is that there will be an option to chose what dragging in the viewport should do - Nothing, Move, Rotate or Scale. Campbell is working on it I think.

The Click Anywhere option didn’t work well technically, because it used an invisible Gizmo to catch events, which caused all sorts of problems. These kinds of options have to be handled by the keymap instead.

1 Like

I guess I’ll hold fire until it’s in and I test it but personally I use a graphics tablet and the difference between a click and a drag can be almost nothing!

so for me if i have an active tool I never want it to execute unless I’m directly using the gizmo and I’ll rely on G R and S key shortcuts when I want the immediacy of direct action anywhere…

I’m being presumptious when i say I don’t think I’m the only one that works this way.

so in my opinion being able to turn off “click anywhere” is desirable regardless of left or right click select

3 Likes

Which is the opposite for the people coming from other apps. “Click anywhere” to execute is standard for us.

We may be at crossed purposes but I disagree… when using max or maya I dont click anywhere in the viewport to move rotate or scale: I only click on the gizmo… so the “tool” only executes from the gizmo.

If I click anywhere I change selection

2 Likes

Of course by “Click anywhere” to execute I mean “Click anywhere” and drag.
Otherwise wouldn’t make sense.

Nope it still doesn’t
click and drag is box select in other apps

Oh, you need to test some other apps. :v:

It will still be possible to disable the “drag anywhere” behavior in the keymap, though it would need to be done for every tool with that behavior.

I think it makes sense to let this be a keymap configuration, we can think of ways to make it easier to configure there. If you don’t want the tools to work with drag anywhere you probably want to bind e.g. border select instead and it becomes a keymap thing anyway.

In Blender 2.7x we already had the behavior where you can click and drag a vertex to select and move it. If you were triggering move accidentally I guess it would happen in 2.8 as well, if not it shouldn’t happen in 2.8 either.

1 Like

just a heads-up, maybe you guys already aware of this when using the transformation gizmos frame select/Al, Switching views, camera becomes laggy.

in maya click and drag is MMB when gizmos used and not left click.

My biggest issue with blender is B for Border select. Such a killer for a fast workflow.

I replaced it and added a new one: LMB drag to border select and shift+LMB drag to add to border select.
I set 3D cursor to Release, to avoid conflict.

Enter 2.8
2.8 seems harder to achieve this, due to the new active tools.

For a quick workflow, click+drag outside a gizmo should IMO enable border select. So you can quickly adjust selection as a tool is active. The problem is, with my current fix the active tool is changed to Border select. Best case scenario, any active tool remains active, even when I use LMB+drag for border select in between.

This won’t get into default blender, because it’s inconsistent with other windows. All I hope for is I can still achieve this functionality.

2 Likes

yeah, for me i use Alt,Shift with RMB for border New/Add/Subtract, i hate the B because of the Big crosshair, looks like you are going to shoot a laser or something so i tweaked it, and this works nicely with the ctrl+RMB for the 3d Curosr. now B is free for something else.

DId you account for weight paint mode? sculpt and texture painting?

That’s interesting, I love B in great part because of the ‘ruler’ style crosshair. I can be sure I’m lining up my initial click properly every time. Or I can use it as a ruler!
Just an observation.

1 Like

Nope. Modelling/sculptor here and that is EXACTLY the same with me. The difference between a click and a click + drag on the tablet is a matter of breathing at the wrong time.

I have. Click + drag is box select in a wide variety of applications.

there is no border select in these modes, I believe. So this LMB for border select is for object mode and edit mode primarily. At least in 2.79 there are no key map conflicts.