Add-on for automating render passes/cryptomatte?

Recently I was blown away by watching this tutorial and actually getting some sense of understanding output nodes and passes, and how valuable they are in editing.

It’s pretty manual though, and what I’m curious about is if there’s any way to automate the process of getting cryptomattes for different objects (whether all of them, or just ones in specific collections) as opposed to connecting every object to an output node yourself. I’d be interested to know if there’s a way to output them as layers to a PSD, or if it’s something a MultilayerEXR could do.

There’s probably additional reasons why what I’m asking for is unreasonable on top of impossible, so please forgive my ignorance if that’s the case.

Yeah, don’t use compositing nodes. Disable compositing nodes and render an unmodified multilayer exr. Then use an exr/cryptomatte plugin to access the data in Photoshop. The ‘workflow’ in that video is archaic garbage.

Very interesting, thank you! When I had previously tried this in Photoshop using ProEXR, it really didn’t seem like I was getting useful matte layers. It seems like EXR-IO might be better?

Would this also output noisy and denoised layers separately?