[WIP]Bevel after Boolean

Ok Ilya, this is good news! ‘Bevel after boolean’ is a great idea… it is good to hear that you are experimenting with new methods for making it better! :smiley:

I came up with another idea.
Manually works. It is necessary to try to automate.
Without using a pipe. And with the ability to adjust the offset for each side.

I apologize for not writing anything for a very long time. I try many different options, but they do not give the necessary result. By the same token there are doubts about the need, is this tool still needed?

I have little experience in programming, so once again I apologize.

2 Likes

Are you asking if the tool (bevel after boolean) is this needed?
Yes, I see people frequently talking about it with enthousiasm.

Yeah, pretty much needed if you ask me! Keep up the great work

Yes it’s a very good tool. I hope there will be a version for 2.8 once that is out.

Hey Ilya, of course it is a tool that it is needed! And it is needed very much! It is a great tool… it gets Blender’s modeling abilities to a quite higher level! Never think abandoning the project! We are waiting for your new add-on with the new methods of offsetting! :smiley:

As it is evident no other programmer is working on such a tool, still to this day, in the whole Blender community. So your tool is a great offer! It is not yet well known but if we have a better variation of it (which does not have the problems that the pipe method had) it is for sure that it will be a top modeling tool in Blender!

The method is fairly simple:
You need to clear vertex at the desired distance (using bridge_edge_loops).

Create two offset using insert twice (inward and outset).

Smooth offsets.
Align offset with SHRINKWRAP.
Use the standard bevel.

And apply DATA_TRANSFER.

2 Likes

Is there not a way to automatize this process?

Why?
I just wrote an algorithm for those who want to try the method.

2 Likes

After the offset cut there does not appear the middle curve. Am I missing some step in the process?

In this method? [Add-on][WIP]Bevel after Boolean

Yes! How do you achieve this result? Is there not needed a curve in the middle of the cut for being able to make the bridging, the offsetting and then the beveling?

If you make a short video showing the process will be very helpful.

1 Like

I hope this helps you:

You can use (Circle select) to select the necessary vertices from one side.
Click bridge_edge_loops.
Then do the same on the other side.

1 Like

Sorry but I still am not understanding it! And also, how this method can be used in other kinds of boolean operations? How do we use it, for example, in the case of a ‘union’ kind of boolean operation? There is a need of step by step explanation. A short video -even if soundless- would be very helpful indeed!

I am insisting in the video request because if we, the users, can not understand well the tool’s working method we can not experiment with it and give feedback (and I do suspect that this is the reason that there is not so much feedback on this thread nowadays, despite its importance).

Make a short video which shows step by step the route you follow please! If we understand its working way we can contribute to its development with our observations… and so, It is most possible that we can have a very powerful modeling tool in the end! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

What is the most up to date version of addon?

GIF

This is not exactly the same as what he posted, I just used remove doubles to clean up the overlap rather than smoothing and shrinkwrapping which is what he suggested.

Also it’s hard to tell but I edited out the process of selecting the faces at the beginning of the gif for brevity, I just used regular path selection.

aMars, how did you come up with the original cube and did you use an identical cube to boolean with? Thanks

I just put a bevel modifier on a regular cube, applied it and then put a bunch of loops through it to give it some additional geo to make sure the boolean would be messy. Then I duplicated it, moved it into position and booleaned it and applied the boolean.

Thank you aMars.

aMars… the example you give is ok but it seems that there is no any use of an add-on here… it is just manual workings after a simple boolean subtraction. So what the latest experimental add-on does? What is its function?