Adding a 3D importer UI in Blender 2.8

Hi guys,

Just wondering whether it’s possible in Blender 2.8 to code a file importer UI so that users can preview a set of 3D objects and add it to the 3D viewport.

I’m looking to create an addon that will allow the user to import 3D clothes from a library of cloth models and want to provide the user with an easier and more fun experience.

I guess maybe something like this:

I know there’s the FileBrowser addon and I can make use of the bpy.ops.wm.append() which I think I can play around with to get it to look how I want, but I kind of want it a static part of the UI and not as a kind of popup. Also, after the object is appended, I’m looking to run a small script that will try to fit the clothes to the character (another reason why I can’t use the wm.append() function).

I know archimesh had something similar to this as well but it doesn’t work in Blender 2.8.

Just wondering whether it’s possible and easy to do? I’ve tried lookng everywhere but I can’t seem to find anything. I’m not a Blender python expert btw, only recently started dabbling with it.