Adding different colours to a multi-edged object

Hello,

I’m new to blender, found a 3ds file online I’m playing around with before I start what I want to do. I’d like to separate the chair into different parts so that I can apply different colours and textures.

What is the best way to approach this? For example, if I want to make the handles their own objects that I can select and colour in separately from the rest of the chair. Or separating the seat and backrest from the connecting piece between the two.

• I’ve tried separating them by selecting the vertices, but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right.
  • I tried dissolving the edges as well which appears to be bringing me closer to my goal, but again, I don’t know if this is correct.

An image of the chair is attached.

Any info is appreciated, thank you!

If you want to separate pieces to a new object, select the vertices you want to separate and press P
If you just want to add different materials to different areas of the object you don’t have to make them different objects. A single object can have multiple materials applied to it, see http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/06/15/tip-adding-multiple-materials-to-a-single-object/

It’ll also be easier to clean up the mesh first by converting the triangles from the .3ds file to quads

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the response; you helped a ton!

Converted to quads, watched the video and slowly getting parts of the chair filled in now.

Thanks again!

• Mark