Adding more detail for character

Hello,

Is this model object I have setup good for more detailed model editing, vertices or faces to create more shape pieces.

Is it enough to expand from it, or something more experimental, sculpt the detal off of it. More the detail and shape is what my task is.

Well… i’m not sure what target you are up to… from game model / hand painted upt to cinematic realistic / multilayer material…
…so only you decide this.

It is just a basic model, some detail is the aim, sculpting according to a video I watched is good for faces, and organic objects, where as using a cube which I used as the frame and subdivided it, to create ripples and dents or what ever, you can use a model edit approach or sculpt which is like creating or chipping away at the mesh to create dents. :thinking:

The slow model task.

The method is to add a few more edge loops to try and get the bone structure, and see how it goes. :thinking:

You may even move this into the WIP category… maybe then you get more replies… if you want this… since it seems to be no question anymore because you are advancing already…

I can only try.

I added more faces and vertices, hmm, the smooth setting helps to define the front torso defined incisions a little.

But it is the more detailed effects that are the challenge.

A couple of suggestions…

Get into the habit of correctly naming everything in the outliner. One day you will make a big error because you were guessing which object is the correct one. Learn to name now, before you have to redo 2 days work.

Post one of the views of the creature you are modeling. It is hard to offer suggestions on something we only ever get vague views of.

Learn to localize topology. Here is a quick model similar to the area you are doing. Insets have been used to add more vertices and detail. Look at the selected edges. They look like an inset - but were added after the insets. They make edge loops do just that. They loop back around. This stops you from having all those loops running all over the body and making it harder to work with. There are 2 of those loops going horizontally. If you examine them, 6 faces (from the edge of the insets) turn into 2 faces.

There are lots of good tutorials on making localized topology. Its good to watch the tutorials made in other apps if the tutorial maker is someone who has worked in the industry for the last 20 years. They will tell you why to do things, not just say do this, then do this.

I decided to try and get better detailed images. This is what I have now with the new ones, perhaps the solid object isn’t very good for this task, may be half it, and then mirror it as a single object, or use the modifier.

If I return to the original start file, and load in the new image, it appears more defined and correct, i went too far with too many vertices that the latest file ends up very challenging to even shape the structure. :expressionless:

I tried to shape the front to the shape. I think a few more edge loops to create the dents. This is more wonky using a whole piece than simply using a modifier. Probably best to use one. I’d be making a clay structure. Trying to get it correct somewhere and then somewhere else.

I wasn’t sure if I should create more edge loops that are around the object, or just stick to the specific face I want to add more vertices too. By keeping it simple, it then would mean the rest of the object will have no connecting vertices.

To create the dent parts, it would be wise to keep a full edge loop instead of just a local one.

I added a edge loop to the left side, as with the smooth setting it looks to square

I guess it may be the best road to try, the key is more faces to create the rounded shape,