[Addon] Drag & Drop FBX Import for Blender 4.1

I have created a drag-and-drop import add-on for the FBX format using the FileHandler API added in Blender 4.1.
As a differentiation from features that will be supported in future versions of Blender, we have also added an option to select the Better Fbx add-on importer.

DD FBX Importer_0.1.1.zip

Thumbnail

Summary

• Works with Blender 4.1 or higher version
  • FBX file data can be imported by dragging and dropping it from the file browser into the Blender window
  • If you drag and drop multiple FBX files, they will all be imported

Feature

Choose Importer

• In addition to Blender’s built-in FBX importer, you can also use the “Better Fbx” importer (Better Fbx must be activated)

Popup UI

• You can set import options each time you import a file.
  • Previous import options are remembered (they are discarded when you exit Blender)

Show Popup

Auto Import Option

• If you choose not to show the pop-up UI, importing will begin immediately upon drag-and-drop using the import options set in User Preferecnes.
  • You can do the settings for each of the built-in importers and the Better Fbx importer.

5 Likes

Latest Version
DD_FBX_Importer 1.0.0

• Added operator to restore default values for import options used when Show Popup is off.

The addon works great! I use Better FBX Exporter and it works great.
If we talk about adding useful functionality, it would be very useful to be able to hide some items in the importer that the user does not change and for the addon to remember these settings (as for example in the Unreal Engine import), this would improve interaction. But this is already a nice little thing. But thank you very much for sharing this addon! I will follow its development!

1 Like

Thanks for the response.
Of all the import options, I too think there are many that do not change any parameters at all.
If they could be hidden, it would improve the visibility of the UI.

Latest Version (Bug Fix)
DD_FBX_Importer 1.0.1

• Fixed access to incorrect property names in the “Reset to Default” operator.
1 Like