Manuel Bastioni Lab, turns Blender in a laboratory for 3d humanoids creation

Too Rich for my budget. And I know it may seem obvious, but when I went to the site all the banners and frames and sliding windows had me confused so I really could not determine WHAT THE SOFTWARE DOES . One good thing was that one of their banner adds led me to a netfilx series called “Altered Carbon” that I then started watching and am now hooked on.

The software takes a video of a face and animates the 3D model, it can be used on any facial rigs, either bones, blend shapes, or a mix of both!

You can get the full software and use it for free for non profit!

Thank you!

It’s not feasible due to the big amount of administrative resources and bureaucracy that it requires.

Sorry, I left the MH project in 2016.

Gah, I mean MB characters =P

OK.

This is not entirely correct. See the faq 1.11: How many lab characters can I mix in a closed source character editor?

Ok, that could be interesting… it could be like pick a mother and the father to generate your character from

Hello Manuel,

I came across a fairly large set of Mocap animations but when I tried them out using the LAB’s load BVH button I noticed some bones were not detected on retarget.

This lead me to looking around inside the code and I ended up modifying some of the bone lists inside the retarget_knowledge.json file.

The main reason the retarget is failing is due to bone naming and detection of those bone names. The undetected bone names are LeftUpArm, RightLowLeg etc. So I basically added in “uparm” and “lowleg” to some of the various detection lists.

I am attaching my modified version of the retarget_knowledge.json file so you can take a look and hopefully add it to the LAB on the next release.

I am still getting WARNING: on all the twist related bones, however…?

Attachments

retarget_knowledge_mocapdata.com.zip (1.35 KB)

Another thing I am noticing when loading a BVH file, is that when the chain list lengths are mis-matched the detected result bone is discarded even if it was detected by one of the methods.

Is there any way to alter the code to still use a bone result even if chain lengths are mis-matched?

Attachments

Thanks for pointing out this library. However, at least the free packages available there are all in .C3D-format. Did you somehow convert these to .BVH (if so, how?) or do the paid packages also include files in .BVH format?

Hullo everyone,

I’m trying to follow the tutorial for setting up a proxy fit asset here (http://www.manuelbastioni.com/guide_a_detailed_tutorial_about_clothes.php), however I seem to be doing something wrongly!
I imported the human male template and added and sculpted my testing top, one that’s a little bulky to reduce potential error.
When I save it to the assets directory, it shows as an available asset to load in the after creation tools, but when I select it nothing is added to the scene.

It was curious to me that there was no step in the tutorial about applying a fit in the asset to bind it to the skeleton, so I used the proxy fitting tool to bind the asset to the skeleton.
I noticed in the hair models that the male topology is not included, so I deleted the male topology, but these changes didn’t make the asset work.

What’s the step that I’m missing here?
I’ve uploaded my blend file directly following the tutorial here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsQaBfbYzrAdg8pLHLldnm_Yn3dcgA
And I’ve uploaded my blend file with the proxy fit and deletion of the base mesh here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsQaBfbYzrAdg8pMXsri-FcV8jscAw

Any help is really appreciated!

I did notice that the “Woman Behavior” set was .C3D only. But all the other ZIP files had .bip, .c3d, .fbx, .bvh options.

Attachments

Hi,
the blend filename must be the same of the asset object in the blend scene.

It was curious to me that there was no step in the tutorial about applying a fit in the asset to bind it to the skeleton, so I used the proxy fitting tool to bind the asset to the skeleton.

I have still to complete the documentation update (task 1.6.2/007 here: http://www.manuelbastioni.com/progress162.php) The big amount of modelling work planned for lab 1.7.0 is keeping me very busy!

I noticed in the hair models that the male topology is not included, so I deleted the male topology, but these changes didn’t make the asset work.

Can you better explain? The hair_01 is available for both anime and human male.

Hi Atom,
It’s not straightforward, anyway it’s a feature planned for one of 1.6.x releases (perhaps 1.6.3).
I will make the system more flexible and the auto detection will be only the first step of the retarget process.
Since the auto detection will be less important, I prefer to not increase the data in retarget_knowledge.json, because I noticed that in many cases adding a new name key that works perfectly for a specific skeleton can lead to unpredictable results in some other cases.

Sorry for the simple question but I am new to MBL character and clothing rigging. I have modeled a simple dress with some folds at the bottom - first pic below. I am trying to use proxy fitting to associate the dress with the character but when I pose the character the dress behaves strangely - second pic below.

Can this issue be resolved by changing settings in the proxy fitting area? I have tried with no success. Does this have to be handled by manually weight painting the dress mesh to change the effect of the various bones? I tried this and I could probably get it to work but it takes time, which I’m ok with if there is not an easier way.

It’s a simple, but good question.
I’d like to improve the algorithm in future, but at the moment this type of clothes requires to calibrate the result manually painting the weights.

Hi Manuel,

I see the roadmap and development taks progress. Whow, that is a huge list. I just wonder how you can do that all on your own, and I am concerned that maybe one day it feels like work for you. My problem is that I like the lab and I made an amazing skinshader on which I worked for a few months, testing, adjusting and testing. Now the shader looks perfect under all HDRI’s. But… a model naked is not usually can present in a portfolio, or use in an add etc. I am able to give the model clothes, but after changing pose I need to “sculpt” the clothes. no matter if I use Mask, offset, etc. It’s very difficult to get this perfect. I think in blender we probably can forget about animated cloth? Or do you have suggestion of where to look when you want to dive into clothing your model? Would be nice we can use the models of your lab anywhere. That’s why I was wondering why you don’t focus on improving the automated weight for proxies instead of further refining the models?

Anyway amazing addon and I hope to be able to make use of it in work.

Regards,

Robert (peetie)

Neat fun to play with. However, I notice it is trying to check that the Blender version is not greater than 2.79.0, and complaining if it is, on the assumption that it must be a 2.8 build.

This is incorrect. The Blender 2.8 builds have version numbers later than 2.80, as you can see here – in fact the version is already up to 2.80.12.

I am currently running a build that identifies itself as 2.79.4. And the addon seems to work OK.

I just decided to increase the priority of fitting and auto-weight features: probably I will release a special version 1.6.1a soon.

(It seems my previous reply to Peetie was lost during the migration to the new forum.)

This was fixed in lab 1.6.1.