[AddOn] RE:Lay (Updated For Blender 2.66)

Ok… I’m feeling stupid…
I did all these steps… even with your file but no results…
When I open your file it work’s. If I add an object and put it on the list of your relay_object it work’s…
But if I delete everything and rebuild the scene it does not work!
Here’s my file!
Re:Lay_NotWorking.blend (553 KB)

Ah! And thank you for the patience and support!
I really want and need this add-on… but I don’t know what to do…

yep, it’s broken here too… an easy temporary fix is adding some data related keyframe to your target -an auto smooth keyframe will do it- and rerun script

great one Atom!

Eversimo and Liero,

I haven’t had Re:Lay break on me yet as it did for you two, but I did have a very similar experience when I used Re:Lay and Re:Phrase simultaneously.

My work-around solution was to set up my entire animation in one .Blend for safekeeping, then Space > Bake Action, and then append that animation into its final .Blend destination. Obviously, this was limiting because, every time a tweak or correction was needed, I’d essentially need to start from scratch and then use the Bake Action all over again, but it still at least allowed me to get the results of Re:Lay and Re:Phrase.

I think we’re all in agreement that this is a very cool and powerful tool, despite its defects, and I hope that Atom and others continue to work on it. (I personally am powerless as far as scripting goes, so all I can do is just say thanks and work with what’s available.)

@eversimo: You found a bug. Sometimes Blender issues events that have bad data. An untrapped reference on bad data caused the bug. The bug you are experiencing causes a momentary crash in the script which leaves the global isBusy flag to True. Then no more processing can occur until isBusy gets reset to False.

I had fixed the bug and uploaded it to the 261_relay_rephrase_starter file that David has been working with. Now I have migrated that fix into the official release on the first post. Sorry about that. Here is your file patched as well.

Attachments

Re_Lay_NowWorking.blend (98.2 KB)

Haha! Now It’s working perfectly! Thank’s, Atom! Your hard work is a huge contribution to blender community! We need tools like this, and I’m sure that you will improve Re:Lay… just like you did with this new and awesome version.
AND, you are inspired by Cinema4D tools, this is a huge inspiration when talking about tools… There’s so much tools in Cinema4D that I want in Blender… the MoGraph tools are simply awesome!!! But I’m happy because this is happening with your scripts!
Thank you!

Well, its not working with yafaray again. :frowning:

Im using Linux Ubuntu 11.10 (64), and downloaded a Blender version from Graphicall.org (Blender (Ubuntu 11.10) + Yafaray 0.1.2 + Exporter). The problem is that it stops to work after you render the scene.

I think that for external render we need to bake the animations. This option was always available in blender but was not in the UI, but Campbell added it recently to the curve editor as Bake Curve, but this tool just work in active selection… It could works with all selected objects… I’ve tested this and it bakes the animation from Re:Lay. But is a pain to bake a scene with a lot of objects. I’ve noticed a big slowdown in the viewport with 100 objects “Re:Layed”… The “bake” option will help with this…

I don’t have a build with Yafaray to test with. Bata’s drop box has reached it’s public limit so I can’t get the build test it for myself.

Can you post a screen shot of the console or error message after the crash?

Thank you, it worked, after baking the animation curve. But i agree with you, about the “bake” option.

I dont see any crash message, but here is screengrab…

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

well… i was wrong… its still not working …even after baking the animation curve. Also theres no crash or error message.

@slipknot66: Thank you for the bug report. I was able to pull down a megasoft78 build for testing. I believe I have fixed the bug that was causing the crash after render when using Yafaray. Try pulling down the BLEND file from the first post and giving it a try.

Thank you Atom, its working now. And there is no need to bake the animation curves. :smiley:

@Atom
Good work, man! Thank you very much!
Just a simple question: Is it possible to restore that “custom property” option that controls the offset value of each object?
I’m actually using the Text Editor to change the default value at the line 510 on frame_relay.py…

@eversimo: I had forgotten about that. Yes, two updates in one day. Pull down the latest BLEND file from the first post. I have added a little popup dialog that let’s you choose the offset you want to use when you click the mouse pointer icon.

Attachments

Great!!! Thanks Atom! :slight_smile:

hmm, just downloade the new version (261_addon_relay_2g.blend), and again, its not working with yafaray. :frowning:

@slipknot: I get hit or miss crashing when rendering with Yafaray out of RE:Lay using version 2g.

Give version 2h a try, attached on the first post. This version has the new crash recovery mechanism I created for RE:Phrase. It also adds two more axis types XZY and ZXY. It also can link directly to RE:Phrase and populate it’s list of targets from the current phrase, when properly setup.

If you get a further crash with Yafaray, using version 2h can you post the problem scene?

Hello Atom, well its still not working. Heres a simple scene i did to test.

Attachments

relay_problem.blend (377 KB)