[Addon] Recalc Vertex Normals

ty for your work

Does it work with exporters (changing vertex normals and then exporting into ASE or some game model format) ?

Revision 57450 by Campbell Barton
44 minutes ago
utility function for calculating smooth groups from sharp edges: BKE_mesh_calc_smoothgroups

Revision 57452 by Campbell Barton
3 hours 46 min ago
expose smooth group calculation to python as Mesh.calc_smooth_groups()

Here it is August now, any word on a method to edit vertex normals? I’m embarking on a project that will require me to be able to set them straight, my fingers are crossed that I can use Blender.

I’m bumping this thread as I’m wondering if anything more has happened with this Addon and also if anything has moved forward with this long overdue aspect of blender?

I also need to know if there’s any way of getting this to work with exporting with FBX? After I export the normals have recalculated and the mesh in UDK shows the ‘default’ normals and not the edited ones.

If we can’t export meshes with their edited normals with this or render, whats the point of the plugin? I hope I’ve just got it wrong though as bad normal shading has really halted development of a game I’ve been working on for a while, as It’s a hobby I really don’t have $$$$ to spend on 3Ds max or Maya e.t.c. and blender has been my work horse for all of the modeling so far. This has made me hit a complete brick wall…

So ‘can’ we export meshes with the edited normals intact in any way?

Hey, asdn,
I’m a long-time lurker here, and have been using your addon for a while. Thanks for all the work you put into this addon. It’s great, and served as my inspiration to start messing around with scripts in Blender. I thought I’d let you know that I’ve made an addon that includes an fbx exporter that has the option to export normals generated by your addon (and generate tangents from them). I can’t post links yet, but I can post the relevant code if you want.

(Thought I’d mention since it’s directly related: It also has vertex normals editor with a few auto generation modes, two of which do close to the same thing as your tree and foliage modes)

Hey isathar, do post a link to your addon please,
I could really use such an fbx addon, why is it that you can’t post the link?
I would be willing to pay for the addon, and some others might as well,
there’s been some addons developed that way, if you don’t want
to release it free I can understand that, but please do share.

I too would be extremely interesting in this isathar!

I think he’s under new user restrictions, that’s why.
Here’s a link to github and a thread at the UDK forums:

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/986388-Blender-UDK-FBX-Tools-Addon

Sorry about the delay in response, and thanks for posting the links (and help so far), malkavian. I didn’t realize I wouldn’t get e-mail notifications on responses (and am slightly embarrassed now).

I’d feel bad for charging for it, since the exporter is just a modification of the fbx exporter from Blender 2.68. Basically, it hijacks the part of the exporter script that reads the normals from the mesh if the ‘asdn’s Addon’ option is selected in the export menu and replaces it with reading from the custom property used by this addon.
I don’t want to hijack this thread, so I’ll get on losing that new user status in the next couple of days and create a release thread.