[Addon] ShapeKeys Editor

Hi everyone, i developed an addon which aims to edit shape keys in Blender easily. it has 3 main feature: rename / delete / sort.

0. Inastallation

ShapeKeysEditor.py (13.4 KB)

Install the addon above and find it on “Object Data” tab. I like to move it up above the “Shape Keys” panel, it will be more obvious to see the changes.

1. Rename

Click on the first tab called “Rename”, and click the “Rename Edit” button, you will find the new text in “Text Editor” called “RENAME SHAPEKEYS HERE”, which copy the shape keys name list for editing. After the edition, you can press “Apply” button and rename the shape keys’ name based the same sequence.

rename

You can rename with the more complex regex rules and use built-in varaiable “{i}” which refers to the sequence index:

rename_regex

2. Delete

It will be hard to batch remove shape keys by pressing delete button once every time. So just like rename operation, go to “Delete” tab and press “Delete Edit” button you will find a new text named “DELETE SHAPEKEYS HERE”, leave the shape keys’ name you want to delete and press “Apply” and you will get the rest of shape keys without what are listed on text editor:

deletion

3. Sort

For me, the reason why to sort the shape keys is because when exporting 3D model with 52 blendshapes under the ARKit standard from another software like CC3 or Daz Studio, it always be time-consuming to adjust the right order by pressing the button up and down.

The Gif below shows how i batch rename and sort the “right” sequence base on ARKit standard in editor (however i actually changed the sequence randomly just for the purpose of demonstration). It may cause jam because of caculation and operation by program, please wait patiently.

sort

Please feedback when you encounter problems or create an issue in Github :slight_smile:

Github: https://github.com/hahnzhu/ShapeKeysEditor
Gumroad:https://hahnzhu.gumroad.com/l/OIqeZ

10 Likes

Very useful!
Many thanks for this, hahnzhu; this is the only way I could find to rename shape-keys in Blender 2.9. (Its “dbl-click to rename” feature does nothing.) I also made good use of your delete function.

Thx man, feel free to feedback

I’m happy it’s helpful.

@hahnzhu Happy Holidays! This is fantastic so far!

Since it looks like your primary use case has been renaming blendshapes to match ARkit’s 52 options, would you be willing to develop it further to automate that process?

Would you be create the ability to “save” blendshape rename options?

I use the animation file from Rokoko’s facial blendshape recordings (which always have the same 52 namings) and rename them so they match with the blendshape namings from the CC3 character files (which always have the same 52 namings).

If I could “save” a preferences file for Rokoko->CC3 then I could just load up all the renamings with a single click! And others could build their own preference files based on whatever systems they’re trying to move between.

Great work on your plugin. Have a wonderful New Years!

-J

Thanks for your comment and happy new year!
I will add the feature for automation of renaming with the preferences file, and i will let you know when i finish it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@hahnzhu looking forward to it! I think that’ll help a lot of people!

Thx, i will consider new feature for Vertex Groups, maybe another addon i think?

1 Like

Please try this new version, you can load a external file (.txt format) to rename / delete / sort the SkapeKeys.

Reopen Blender after installing if addon didn’t refresh:
ShapeKeysEditor_v1.1.0.py (19.9 KB)

Txt file’s content is the same with what shows in TextEditor:

3 Likes

Thanks a million! You saved me from hours of renaming ShapeKeys that got messed up after the export from another software…

1 Like

Thanks, very helpful!