Addon to Create Pixar-like Rig?

Good evening everyone! Apologies if this isn’t the right sub-forum, but I didn’t see one for Addons. :sweat_smile:

So yesterday I found this program by accident named “Rumba”, and among other things it appears to offer Pixar Presto/Dreamworks Apollo style rigs where you don’t need NURBS/bones visible to control the rig, and instead interact “directly” with the mesh. It’s a cool concept and it’s neat that it’s now available as a commercial product. However, the business/licensing model is a deterrent for hopefully obvious reasons… So I’m wondering if someone made a script/addon for Blender 3.x that offers similar capabilities? Preferably without much added overhead though all things considering I’m not picky.

A quick Google search reveals not much outside to someone making a basic rig with similar capabilities for Blender 2.49… So this post is a quick confirmation to what I suspect. :sweat_smile:

You can do this with Rigify, Auto Rig Pro, making your own rig… nothing in their teaser video is something you couldn’t do with another tool :slight_smile: Sure, their “mesh selection” thing is kinda cool, but you can just make control shapes that do the same thing, for free.

That being said, if you really want this one specifically, it is free for “Enthusiasts” - but if you really need to do commercial work but you don’t want to pay for commercial tools, again, just use Rigify :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll look into Rigify and “control shapes” thank you! Their Euthisiast plan put me off dur to "Non-Commercial) and based on what I’ve read, basically putting an animation on YouTube made in the darn thing could be classed as “Commercial”! I’ve been using Blender for a while but always had control bones visible.

But thanks for your suggestion, I’ll look into it when I make my next rig! :laughing:

1 Like

Hey there,

Just want to give a quick epilogue to this thread and saying I quickly made something up to test to see if Control Shapes would do the trick. I don’t know if this was what you intended when you suggested it! :rofl: :

It’s hardly as usable as how Rumba does it, and I think Blender in it’s current release (3.3) doesn’t support such control rigs and expects you to use NURBS when using that feature. Hopefully during the 4.x or 5.x era a Presto-styled rig ability will be implemented… :sweat_smile:

1 Like