Advice and criticism for my rustic sideboard model

Hi there!
I would like to know your opinion and ask for advice, about my sideboard model. Both in terms of modeling, texture, lighting, rendering, etc…
Any advice or criticism is welcome.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Why is there only 1 button/handle on the upper en lower doors ?

For the rest i looks like the closet of my granny.

1 Like

There is only one knob because the left-hand doors are locked internally by a small hook-and-loop fastened to the inside shelf. The hook fits into a cotter pin attached to the door.
Like this one in the image:

1 Like

I believe that if you use some objects in your scene you could give some depth and scale to the model.

Usually, models rendered without a composed scene seem to miss something. That is perfectly normal.

Try to complement the scene with objects, paintings, plants around and you will see how it will look perfect.

2 Likes

I have a question about the top horizontal crossbar, the one above the doors with glass. I added lightly there too, some smudge and scratches, but maybe they are too visible.
Yes, as soon as I can I will insert more objects to improve the scene.
Thanks for the advice!

I don’t think they are too visible, i believe the scale is still a bit big.

1 Like

This is a very nice model. I agree that it would be helpful to put something else in the picture for scale.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I inserted some elements into the scene. How does it look now?

2 Likes

It could also help if you work with the camera DOF and use a HDRI map less uniform so you çould have areas with less light than others.

1 Like

I had thought about camera DOF actually, I wasn’t sure about using it, but I’ll try to do some tests to see how it comes out.

How do I make the HDRI Map less uniform?

Using another one.
What HDRI map are you using?

I used this:

Maybe something with a bit harder shadows, like this:

Ok I’ll try it, then I’ll let you know.

1 Like

I redid the rendering with some DOF.
The objects to the left of the cabinet are less blurry than those to the right, because the camera is positioned to the left of the front view. But this I think doesn’t affect the rendering of the sideboard presentation.
Also using the HDRI image you suggested.

1 Like

Can you see how a bit of harder shadows help to give some depth to the scene? Maybe it was a bit too much but i think its a good example to see the difference.

The trick is to look at the preview spheres and imagine what kind of effect the HDRI will give on your scene.

1 Like

Yes it is true seems more real than before, thank you!

1 Like