Advice for modeling a stylistic island similar to Wuhu Island in Wii Sports Resort

Hi everybody,

I am relatively new to Blender and brand new to this forum, so please let me know if I have made any mistakes with this post.

I am working on a little pet project to create a spiritual successor to the island flyover mode in Wii Sports Resort. I want to create an island similar to Wuhu Island in the original game with interesting geographical features and manmade developments to explore and fly around.

This is the most ambitious thing I have taken on in Blender so far, and I have never really created any proper environments before, so I am not really sure where to begin. I was hoping the people in this forum might give me some pointers or advice for how to go about a project like this. Most of the tutorials and resources I have found online are focused on making more realistic islands which is not what I am really after.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Wuhu Island

Welcome :tada:…

…roughly outline your island (maybe start with a simple circle… not too much vertices)… think about the (only) need topology in some areas ( street, between houses) make only this and “fill” up the rest… start to rise some areas (extrude and slight scale)…

I do not recommend to start for example with a leveled terrain on a 1000x1000 grid or somethign like that… becaue by far too much geometry…

1 Like

Hey, I know the topic is already closed, but I need help, too.
Can somebody describe the modeling workflow in detail?
My previous aproach was:

• Making a 100x100 Grid Plane
  • Circle select the areas I want to rise
  • Remashing with QuadFlow
  • Then Separate Grass areas from the “cliffs” for tillable textures

Please note I want this to run this in unity with good performance

Would be so thankful for help <3

There is often this description like you have mentioned for simple terrain in gams… but TBH mostly if you are using low poly model then this is “not wise”… because for a level you have to have a plan how the “landscape” should like according to game play. So you have to have a general plan where what should be and with what routes you want the player to go in this level… after this the area have to be modeled (or first sketched) according to their use… and then connected again according to game play (imagine a trench has to be “overcome” by using some boards)…

So their are lots of god (and bad) advices about: "how to plan a level:… and you have to know what you want to make the player to before modelig the actual level. And even professional use blockouts to plan the levels before they actually make them pretty.

1 Like

Ah okay thx for the advice!
Okay I will block out the level in Unity.
And after that I sculpt things out in blender.
Then Remeshing.
And after that separating parts for tilable texturing.
Does this sound like a good idea?

Since i do not just reply without thought… and sometimes i came across things after i replied…

Of course there are always mutliple possibilities… and low poly may be mid poly (or even high but not highest ) for others … this one:

…is not diretcly showing how big the “grid” was… So if you ask:

…then this may depend on you targeted hardware. It’s all about context…

You may also open your own thread maybe also differentiating between designing the level and modeling the island. :wink:

1 Like

First of all thx for your effort! <3
I think I will open a new thread!

Since I don’t have the option to use the Unity terrain it has to be a relatively low poly mesh with lots of optimization bc I want to run it on the Meta Quest 2/3