Advice on converting high detail realized geo on a saguaro to a texture for background instances

So i’ve made some saguaro that i am fairly proud of. Using Geometry Nodes to create the ridges along the length of the trunks & limbs, and to instance a variety of thorn clusters along those ridges.

All of which produces a hell of a lot of geo. Even after stepping on these heavily, both prior to & after Geo Nodes > Realize Instances, these are quite heavy.

Which for hero & close-up shots, these (and about 5 other variations) will look great in the immediate foreground. But I would like to place many dozens of these in the background distance. Far enough away from the camera, after some DOF, the thorn and ridge detail ought to be a texture versus geometry.

But i am stumped on how to convert these; make variations of these where the detail is a texture. Any nudges slash hints slash stand-out tutorials on how to achieve this?

Thanks for your response. I am not at all opposed to the solution being based around an add-on, paid or otherwise. However, the add on you suggest is Eevee only, whereas i will be rendering out in Cycles.

Hmm… if the trimmed down version for $20 doesn’t include the paralax effect… then i see no reason why a simpified render shoudl work with cycles… you may just ask teh addon author ??

Anyway… what’s about appling the modifier and then the “usual” highpoly to lowpoly baking… ??

Or even for the background just render some from different angles and use the “usual” billboard trick…

@Okidoki
Thank you for the response. It is precisely these “usual” tactics that I seek to learn more about. Other than using the Decimate modifier, i have not been exposed to high poly to low poly baking process. And other than seeing it mentioned in other posts, I am eager to digest some best practices in terms of the billboard trick.

Any tutorials or explained process for either method is appreciated so I can bootstrap myself the rest of the way?

Here’s 3 tutorials I found by googling “blender high poly to low poly baking”

and here’s a few I got by googling “blender bake to billboard”

2 Likes

Ahh… yes… i didn’t thought of this because of the “special case: GN” you mentioned :wink: