Afraid - A Nymph in the Woods

Hey everyone, it’s my first post after a while. I wanted to share this artwork I finished recently.

I was inspired by a lot of classical paintings, and specifically composition, poses, clothing, themes and the feelings that their characters often tend to evoke.

So I started working on a piece for this character, call her a Hamadryad mixed with an angel. I would have loved to work more on the clothes, but I don’t have that much creativity yet, since I just started learning Marvelous Designer hahaha

The environment is fairly ‘simple’, a few instanced collections I’ve made with different forest assets, so I could just plug them into any scene and be coherent. They also all share a custom tree to change colors globally (I like to use blue vegetation in my scenes).

The scene is lit by three lights, a main one to present the forest, one illuminating the Hamadryad and another one just to add some volumetrics (that don’t mess too much with the view).

This is the Hamadryad, every piece of clothing is separated because they use different solidify settings. I was always so bummed out about clothing because weight painting never worked for me, neither did the data transfer modifier. But what actually worked wonders was the Surface Deform modifier, it was so easy!!

The horns are mirrored and parented to an empty, which has an armature constraint to the head of the Hamadryad (I don’t remember why I did it this way)

The jewels are just beveled basic shapes, and the ones on the arms are circles with a screw modifier.

The hair was made using the default hair geometry nodes in the Essentials section of the asset browser.

For this soft glowy effect and red halation I used two custom node trees in the compositor:

I didn’t like the default Fog Glow Glare node, so I made this one that gives me a bit more control (and I made it back when fog glow wasn’t available in the realtime viewport compositor, so it’s a bit outdated.

The red halation node is just bloom but applied to the red channel.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk! Hope you liked it!

36 Likes

Great Job, duuuddd!

1 Like

That legit looks real in the face area. Everything else is 90% real.

1 Like

Thanks Lucas!

Wow 90% is a new high! Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you mentioned the red fuzziness. I thought either my eyes or my computer screen were going bad. (I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I do like it)

It helps her pop out from the mostly blue background.

The whole scene looks really good. Did you build the background from scratch?

2 Likes

Hahaha, more than to help her pop out from the background, I wanted to use that as it’s really common in film emulation to add some red halation, I think it gives it a really nice touch :slight_smile:

As for the background, yes, but no. These assets are either bought or photoscans. But I have an asset library of premade forest ‘building blocks’.

For instance, this is one of my forest fillers. It’s an instanced collection I built with many plants, rocks, and a bit of ground in a way that it can be easily blended with itself or other building blocks:

This one too, but it’s just ground, roots, leaves, rocks:

It’s super performant, and if you just instance those instances, you can do stuff like this:

I work a lot with forests, and I like placing everything manually, so this allow me to do stuff like this pretty quickly:

6 Likes

One thing comes to my mind. Perfection.
Maybe because it has something many 3D pieces don’t. They miss the emotion.
Composition is great. Even the colors are interesting.

Edit: If any constructive crit, that is so minor it’s more of a personal taste, is the hair. It might be a bit to well done. My thought is more of this.

3 Likes

Very evocative / impressive!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

very well done, thank for the description. I think you archived what you wanted and the feeling of a classic painting is also there.

1 Like

Your work is so amazing. The woman model is high quality, but still seems simple. Somehow by proper posing, facial expresion, lighting and posteffects you make it look like state of the art photorealistic oil painting despide not aplying painterly filter. Mad respect. Even bigger thanks for detailed explanations and sharp screenshots of your node setup. I feel very inspired and I will learn as much as posible from your materials.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Although my artworks have seem to improve when I try to seek the imperfection rather than the perfection haha

As for the hair, I’m not sure what you mean :sweat_smile:

The funny thing is, the hair in the final is wron, the front should’ve had these braids:

But I forgot to disable a modifier in rendered view hahaha

1 Like

Thank you so much Bart!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Glad it could be of help and inspiration! :slight_smile:

Is it handcrafted, a premade asset. or a model created by a character generator?

1 Like

It’s the base Genesis 8 from Daz Studio 3D. I exported a rigged basic version, which I then sculpted and detailed in Blender. In places like the face, torso or mostly visible parts :slight_smile:

1 Like