After the rain

hello, out there!

a few weeks ago i decided to create a forest scene in blender that was as true to nature as possible. i used thegrove, graswald and a few photoscans for the realization. the biggest challenge for me was to create a credible atmosphere and to reproduce the diversity of nature without losing myself in the details.

the result is certainly not perfect - but fortunately nature is not perfect either : )

all the best
heikosch

29 Likes

What a beauty of a 3d thing. Well done.

1 Like

thank you so much, filipe!

1 Like

thumbs up!! very well! did you use a real photo for orientation?

1 Like

hey, thank you! yes, i have used a bunch of real photo references to understand how natural grown terrains are composed.

I’m freezing just by looking at it! nicely done!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

hehe… thank you! i promise, my upcoming work will be a bit warmer.

wow… i feel honored. many thanks, bart! really appreciate this.

1 Like

Welcome. And well done.

1 Like

I have to disagree with you, this looks perfect !
I think the only element that may throw the realism a very tiny bit is the water, I am not sure why but maybe because it is not getting more transparent at the edges ?
Anyway the scene is just super amazing, I would have thought it was a real photo if I had seen it in a non-cg forum.

1 Like

thank you very much, skuax - for both.

thank you so much, okm. yes, your totally right. the edges of the water are something, i´m still struggeling with. maybe it´s because the water surface is geometrically flat as well and that i created the small waves only by an normal map?

Yeah this maybe a reason since due to surface tension water surfaces are just a tiny but concave at the edges.
Also the waves should also be less intense at the edges, this may probably give the ‘more’ transparent look.
Also one final thing is that the soil material near the water edges should be a little bit darker to give it the moist wet look. (Good explanation for this effect)
How did you do the bark on the trees by the way ? did you use microdisplacement with materials ? it looks so realistic.

yes, i think your right. thank you so much for your input. this helps me a lot to improve my upcoming works.
the barks are mainly texture-driven. i mixed/layered several photoscanned bark- and stonetextures to get the current look. the rest ist just alphamasking and roungh, procedual displacement - no microdisplacement at all.