Alembic I/O.

Don’t know sorry, I don’t work at this studio.

Hi, sorry for the lack of windows builds this week. I will prepare one after I have compiled alembic 1.6.

Seems the file load scale is applied to every node in the tree resulting in multiplied scales down the tree. I think it should only apply to top most node. Latest build for linux (f9fb9bb) crashes on loading the files that have the alembic mesh cache modifier in them.

Blender 2.77 (sub 1), Commit date: 2016-06-30 03:13, Hash 5353418

backtrace

/home//bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender(BLI_system_backtrace+0x1d) [0x19a9b3d]
/home/
/bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender() [0x1035c2b]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x35670) [0x7f9e87259670]
/home//bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender(BKE_cachefile_time_offset+0) [0x16888f0]
/home/
/bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender() [0x169c8b4]
/home//bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender(BKE_constraints_solve+0xec) [0x16a62fc]
/home/
/bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender(BKE_object_where_is_calc_time_ex+0x21a) [0x174e16a]
/home//bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender(BKE_object_handle_update_ex+0x1f8) [0x174fe88]
/home/
/bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender() [0x1791836]
/home/****/bin/blender_alembic_basic_io/blender() [0x19a9f9d]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0x7dc5) [0x7f9e877f0dc5]
/lib64/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d) [0x7f9e8731a28d]

username replaced by ****.

@KWD, can you merge master again? Windows fails to build right now.

Tu peux en dire plus, tu sais, quand on veut on peut :wink:

This is a known issue, and I can only reproduce it in a single file. So far my attempts to fix this were failures.

Latest build for linux (f9fb9bb) crashes on loading the files that have the alembic mesh cache modifier in them.

Will check on that. Though at this point it is not really recommended to save files while expecting to be able to reopen them later, since the design might change, maybe the modifier will removed, etc… Usual development stuff.

Done.

Thanks, windows build is online. Hash 0a86ac9. hope everything is ok after recompiling alembic. HDF5 is off, like linux build.

alembic 1.6 was just released =)

You got it … a bit late :evilgrin:

New Linux:

– PACKAGE-INFORMATION –
Branch: alembic_basic_io
Revision: 1e03976
Submodules: locale a87cfb8 addons 75fb4e0 addons_contrib 72c24a1
Builddate: So 3. Jul 19:59:00 UTC 2016
Filesize: 72255888 byte
Shasum: 88b754ac7dd84c90093d5829313f647f50d1802c
URL: http://www.jensverwiebe.de/Blender/blender_alembic_basic_io_linux64_latest.tar.xz

Also i pushed osx 1.6 lib along with a fix to have alembic properly lookedup in findmodule +
a missing include.
So osx compile should be again a nobrainer. First builder wins a free blender.

Jens

You win A nice shiny brand new build, polished to your liking (ô¿ô)

Superb job! Frame override is very handy with great execution!

Everything seems to work well except:

• UVs still fail to show in Cycles after vertex count changes. It’s a problem if you’re about to fragment a building and the wall texture would disappear.

• Seems there’s also a problem with mayas imported Curves. Can anyone look into it, i am unable to do so.

And thanks to the help of Jens a new OSX build!

– PACKAGE-INFORMATION –
Revision: ff287bd
Shasum: 3923fcbf04a84967c61747aad5dee7231fc5a530
URL: http://www.linesofjasper.com/blender/blender_alembic_basic_io_osx64_latest.zip
jasper

P.S. Jens, the linking error I got (I told you on IRC) was somehow caused by switching to blender_full.cmake. When I returned to configure it ‘by hand’ it built fine again. :slight_smile:

P.P.S. Kevin, can you update the first post for the OSX build?

Are you able to identify which option gives linkage errors with full_build ? Would be nice to sort this out.
Afaik i tested with the default options + alembic on but ndof and collada off ( gives runtime issues here atm. ).

Log should be enough also.

Jens

These issues should be fixed now. Updated first post with current list of known bugs and todos.

Appropriate Linux build:

– PACKAGE-INFORMATION –
Revision: 2c08483
Submodules: locale a87cfb8 addons 75fb4e0 addons_contrib 72c24a1
Builddate: Mo 4. Jul 21:08:08 UTC 2016
Filesize: 72289104 byte
Shasum: 483c9917863a9829fcd151932a330fa2d7b8913a
URL: http://www.jensverwiebe.de/Blender/blender_alembic_basic_io_linux64_latest.tar.xz

Jens

hello!

When I export an object from houdini with vertex colors to blender the vertex colors show up.
If i export an object with vertex colors from blender I cant find them in Houdini or clarisse. Tried Cd, Col, color as attributes.
It works fine if I import the .abc back to blender so the vertex colors are there.

Does anybody now how to get the information or maybe some convention that is a bit wrong?

here is a picture what clarisse finds to extract from the object

Hey,

Blender exports vertex colors as color arrays with 4 channels (RGBA), because vertex colors in Blender have 4 channels. Judging from the Houdini files that were shared in this thread, vertex colors in Houdini only have 3 channels (RGB), so maybe Houdini and/or Clarisse doesn’t consider the color array if there are 4 channels?

Both Maya and Blender consider color arrays with 3 or 4 channels as potential vertex colors layers (that’s the convention).

Other than that, the exported layers in the Alembic file should have the same name as in Blender.

I could provide a switch in the UI to write the vertex colors with only the RGB data, but I’m not too fond of this (there’s already a lot of options there, and I’m afraid some are a bit cryptic, comments on the options and their behaviour are always welcome though).

EDIT: Houdini can take 3fc and 4fc params but expects them to be vertex varying. I made the change, we’ll see if it works.

Are you able to identify which option gives linkage errors with full_build ? Would be nice to sort this out.
Afaik i tested with the default options + alembic on but ndof and collada off ( gives runtime issues here atm. ).

In the end I was able to track it down to WITH_PLAYER=ON. But as he mentioned Kevin fixed it. Also Collada shoud be fine now.

These issues should be fixed now. Updated first post with current list of known bugs and todos.

Thanks!

Sadly I now have another build issue:

/Volumes/data/src/blender_alembic/blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern/constraint.c:4358:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'ABC_get_transform' is invalid
      in C99 [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
        ABC_get_transform(data->cache_file->handle, cob->ob, data->abc_object_path,
        ^

And if I use -Wno-implicit it turns into a linking error.

Should be fixed now.

Should be fixed now.

Thanks and sorry. When I read your commit message, I realized that I was building without Alembic. That doesn’t make much sense for testing this branch, now does it?

A new OSX build will be up soon.

EDIT:
New build is up.

– PACKAGE-INFORMATION –
Revision: 921e428
Shasum: 64782b81e03bc7f0d26651cb2237c07f9d56bd67
URL: http://www.linesofjasper.com/blender/blender_alembic_basic_io_osx64_latest.zip[](http://www.linesofjasper.com/blender/blender_alembic_basic_io_osx64_latest.zip)

Maya curves, nurbs scene for debug: http://cgstrive.com/alembic/mayaNurbsCurves.abc