Alembic loading process corrupts after loading many files

I’ve got assets comprised of a few thousand parts, each stored to their own alembic files (there are reasons for them to be separate).
When loading these files generated out of maya into blender everything works fine, however with thousands of files to load (and the UI not letting you select more than one at a time) I’m using python to loop though the contents of a directory and load them, simple enough…

However blender seems to get itself to a point where it will only load so many objects (500-600) before then complaining about being unable to load the ogawa stream from the files.
After this occurs even loading them one by one from the file menu gives the same issue.
Thinking some files were bad / incompatible I tried rewriting and altering output options, all to no effect.
Then I realized if I just clear the scene, and load the exact same files which failed to load after the loop, they actually load fine.

It seems either a file within my set causes, or the loading process itself gets corrupted until File > New is called and clears out the scene.
Sadly I can not share these files due to client restrictions, but I don’t believe the issue lies with them. It feels like a process issue.

I’m loading the directory using a for loop going to the following function

bpy.ops.wm.alembic_import(filepath=path, as_background_job=False) 

Thanks for any help!

Windows 10 x64
Blender 2.92 official