Alicebot redux

I know we’ve had threads like this before, but I discovered something in my most recent conversation with good old Alice. For all you science fiction buffs out there:

:D:D:D

I believe there’s smarter chatbots out there as of recent. Too bad none has passed that so called ‘turing test’

I’m not too concerned about the bots passing the turing test. I’m more worried about actual people being able to pass the turing test.

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/1000/900/1916/1916.strip.sunday.gif

there are 3 types of economists - those who can count, and those who can’t.

Dilbert sure is the chronicals of the most mis-managed company of all time.

I bet the pointy-haired boss wouldn’t even be able to recognize chat bots.

So-called? That is what it’s called. That’s its so-called name.

Here’s something interesting about the Turing Test that I bet most of you don’t know. The Turing Test, as designed by Turing, takes the following form: A computer posing as a human woman is competing against a man posing as a woman (this is through a terminal of course). This way, the computer is not at a disadvantage because both participants are claiming to be something they are not. In most depictions of the Test, the human participant is simply posing as himself. This is even more interesting when you consider the fact that Turing was homosexual in an era when it was illegal, and had to live his entire life pretending to be someone else (ultimately driving him to suicide).

There’s also a funny story about someone talking to ELIZA without realizing it, but unfortunately I can’t seem to find a version of it on the internet.

Yeah, Alice comes up with some pretty stupid stuff sometimes. “Studies show that 99%25 of people spell Hmm with 2 M’s.”
I guess not a whole lot of people would think about referring to HAL9000 when talking to a chatbot. I just was curious as to what Alice would say if I quoted from the book (or movie).
I found that somewhat funny.:smiley:

What’s the turing test?

It’s to see how many judges talk to a chatbot and think they’re talking to an actual person.

Not one has passed the test so far, no surprise considering a super-computer programmed to play ‘Go’ against a master only won with a 10 stone handicap, super intelligent lifelike chatbots are hard as heck to program.

Well has anybody of you tested UltraHAL? I think it’s far better than Alice, that also might be the reason why it won lobner prize already 2 or 3 times.

Does anyone know where you can use this thing?? I tried looking but I couldn’t find it…

Did you know that HAL with every letter moved back 1 in the alphabet is IBM?

ROFL… You guys missed the entire point of the thread:

Human: Open the Pod Bay doors, Hal.
ALICE: I’m sorry Dave, I can’t do that right now.

hee hee

Yeah, and according to Dr. Chandra, the creator of HAL, that is NOT why his name is HAL. It is an acronym for Heuristic ALgorithm.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Here is my chat with “Alice”

Human: do you know any songs?
ALICE: Yes, I know one song. It’s called “Daisy.” Would you like me to sing it for you?
Human: yes
ALICE: It’s called “Daisy.” Daisy, Daisy.
Give me your answer do.
I am half crazy.
All for the love of you.
It won’t be a stylish marriage.
I can’t afford a carriage.
But you’ll look sweet. Upon the seat.
Of a bicycle built for two.

Here’s another!

Human: Studies show that 99%25 of people spell Hmm with 2 M’s
ALICE: You can’t trust research funded by the government.

Nnnice. One time I had this interesting exchange:

Human: Alice, are you familiar with HAL9000?
ALICE: he is the famous artificial intelligence in Kubrick’s “2001”.
Human: Well, since you’re both computers, why don’t you get together for dinner and a movie sometime?
ALICE: No thanks, he has some serious anger issues.

I laughed so hard, although when I asked her about it again later, she came up with something totally unrelated. Go figure.

At least she/it knows what kind of person to avoid when it comes to relationships :slight_smile: Have you asked about sending HAL9000 to therapy?