Align bolt to hole with offset

I suppose this is pretty basic and I have figured out some of how to do this…

Given a bolt laying on a surface at a random rotation and a block or plate with a round or square hole in it.

The goal is to animate the bolt rising above the block, aligning with the hole, then insert into the hole.

Easy enough to get make a custom transform orientation and align transform to orientation. Then set cursor to the center of the hole and then selected to cursor.

But, this puts the origin of the selected object at the surface of hole. The origin of the bolt is at the junction between the head and the shaft. This is where it makes most sense since that is where the head would lay on the surface when inserted in a hole. So, it would be good to avoid moving the origin.

Is there a way to get it to be offset from the cursor by some amount. I know I can move the cursor itself before the snap.

I didn’t understand the exact question. (Language problem)
When creating an animation, try using Empty if you need other settings without affecting the object :thinking:

Use Empty as an alternative to origin without moving origin…

Thanks for the reply. This is what describing.

Here I Aligned to transform, key, selected to cursor, move up in z, key, down in z, key.
Peek 2024-04-09 13-57
Basically I want to align the screw to the hole at some offset to entry of the hole.

I don’t know if this is the answer to the question. :thinking:

Select the edge of the screw hole, position the 3D Cursor, move the screw to the 3D Cursor, and insert the key.

※ If you place Empty on the end of the screw, place the screw in Empty, and animate the , you can set different keys for Empty and the screw.