Align object on surface

Hey dear blender fellows,

I try to model a pinecone and got the general shape. Now I try to instance the seeds (plane) on the faces and did it with the following node setup.

It was possible to align the seeds on the surface (with sample nearest surface and align euler to vector), but they are all pointing in different directions, as it can be seen on the next image. Can I let them point upward and a little bit outward.

Furthermore I try to scale the plane size according to the z-location. But not homogenous instead with a custom function. I tried it with an RGB curve (does this even make sense?) and on the nodesetup with a color ramp but it’s not quite working. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Additonally some of the planes are instanced inside the the red pinecone and I don’t know why.

Hello and welcome! If it’s convenient for you, please upload your blend file - this will not only help us understand your situation better but also make it possible that other learners can try to tackle the same problem in the future. If there was a tutorial that you were following, it might also help to link that here.

Regardless, you have illustrated your problem well. For your second question, did you mean to scale the planes on the global z-axis, or just horizontally along their local axis? If the latter, I would replace the add math node with a map range node, and maybe use the Min Max stats for easier control. The color ramp expects an input of 0-1, so the add node doesn’t make much sense there. The map range can fit your global coordinates into the range of 0-1 for the color ramp to work with. Hopefully, someone can answer your other questions.
2023-02-03T18_24_05-05_00_TWP-X570-WIN10(blender)

Align object on surface.blend (528.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you 30Salt for your input. It was a good idea to put the map range in front of the color ramp. I think it’s doing now what I intended.
I added the blend file.
pinecone8.blend (1.7 MB)

Cheers

Can you elaborate a little on how this is working

do you start with one simple plane and then make some other shape to be set on the surface of a cone ?

thanks
happy bl