Alt-G then G and Mouse to Move... All Centered Items Move

In the Blender Guru Blender 3.0 Donut Tutorial, Part 6, we start with the donut at the centre of the Viewport. He selects the light in the Scene Collection window, uses Alt-G to move the light to the center, then G and drags it to the desired position. I do the same, and when I do G and drag, both the light (selected) and the donut (not selected) move as a unit. I can’t find a way around this!

Is there an obvious (Doh!) solution that I’m just too green to know about?

MacBook Pro 16" M1Max, Blender 3.0.0 for Mac.

BTW, I have tried selecting the donut and the icing, then G and move them away, with the idea of next moving the light away, then using alt-G to move the donut and icing back to the center. But the G move moves the light with the donut… it’s as if they are permanently linked.

Make sure they aren’t parented to the light.

I did a little reading on parenting, then selected each object in turn (donut, then icing then light) doing the alt-P then Unparent on each, and the problem persists. Thanks for the help, though, as I learned something new.

I finally resolved the problem in the sense of getting around it. I deleted the light, then initially just tried adding a new light, but it was again stuck to the donut. I deleted the new light, moved the donut, created the new light, moved it, and then re-centred the donut. But I’m still no wiser as to what was causing the problem in the first place. Perhaps a bug?

Can you upload the file with the bug?

If I’ve done this right, this should be the one with the donut and the light at the center of the world… as I’m using A. a Mac B. Monterey. C. an M1 machine and D. a Bluetooth-connected extended Num Pad, E. an unexperienced brain, there are lots of possibilities…

BG-Beginner Donut 05.blend (3.7 MB)

You have proportional editing on.
Press O, that should fix the issue. (If you are using the default keymaps). It is located at the top, see attached image.

1 Like

I wasn’t in edit mode at the time, just object mode and trying to move the donut, so I’m guessing that wouldn’t apply, but… a very embarrassing possibility has come to mind. Other than an intro to moving items, practically all the work done in this tutorial so far has required orbiting, panning and zooming. I’m wondering if I selected the donut and then did a “Shift-MMB drag” instead of using “G” to move? Can’t remember now, but I caught myself do this once today when I noticed that the world grid was also moving. All I can say is when you’re 74, you slow down a bit! Thanks for the help!

John

Proportional editing still works in object mode and i was having the same issue with your file until i turned it off.

Feel free to ask if you need more help.
I haven’t modeled anything impressive so far due to psylogical issues but i have been using Blender for almost 13 years now.

Thanks for correcting me on that, I hadn’t realized that was a factor in Object mode! You must have seen lots of changes in 13 years… I’m 74, so I hope I get in at least 13 years of experience… :wink:

John

1 Like

This threw me for a loop one time.

“Why are other things moving?”

Proportional Editing.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO TURN IT OFF WHEN YOU’RE DONE USING IT !!

1 Like

I’m still 28 (29 this year), i hope to make it to 74 like you :slight_smile:

I started in playing with Blender in middle school, a guy was basically advertising 3d modeling tutorials for after school activities but he charged R800 for an hour (Around $80). I could only go once since we were lower middle class at the time. We each got a copy on a re writable disk, i think the version was 2.2 if i remember right.

Played with it on and off until my dad got a new higher paying job and took the PC with him. Eventually my dad opened his own business and i started helping him here and there, i skipped the last few years of high school so i could work full time. I kept saving until i could afford my own PC and some basic internet and then download blender 2.4

I also made some minor money by carving wooden propellers, most of the kids in the neighborhood had bicycles and the liked to attach them to the front.

Thanks for the good advice!

Sounds like you are very entrepreneurial and productive. Good luck with everything, including making to 74, or more.