Alternative to metaballs, what's the name of it?

Hello

I don’t remember the name of something I’ve seen, when objects are close, it merges/mixes them, kind of like metaballs. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Maybe signed distance functions…

3 Likes

@Okidoki has it right…In Geometry Nodes, it is called Marching Cubes I believe ( I think the same is in Sverchok Nodes…

GN

Look up @ Higgsas

3 Likes

Didn’t know that… wasn’t aware of the connection to marching cubes algorithm… :thinking: or is this a naming coinsitence ??

You’d have to ask @Higgsas, but I would guess named after the Algorithm…

Zorro weaver has some great geonodes examples of SDF’s here.

4 Likes

I think OP would need SDF for that, there is already SDF libraries like link posted above.

I don’t have a marching cubes node group only marching squares/triangles (2d version). I did try to create it but realized that I will need create 200+ values look up table and just gave up on that, plus the performance would not be good and Volume Cube already does that and with cleaner topology.

3 Likes

what I had seen looked new but relatively easy to use… But why didn’t I bookmark what an idiot! :sob:

I can vouch that @Zorro_Weaver ’s SDF presets are both new and easy to use :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Erindale did exactly that, the dedication on this dude

1 Like

sorry i’m definitely a bit lost but i don’t see any nodes with these metacubes or other mix solution :blush:

Yawn.

2 minutes with zorros_weavers nodes.

4 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

I call it the “SDF Boolean” node because it also includes difference and intersection modes, as well as attribute color blending.

If you get stuck, check out the documentation pdf that comes with it. It includes a basic description of each node, along with a simple usage example.

If you’re still having issues, don’t hesitate to send me a PM or ask a question on my topic. I’ll be happy to help you out!

If you’re looking for additional resources regarding signed distance functions, check out Inigo Quilez’s blog.

@Leonard_Siebeneicher also has some useful resources regarding SDFs and simulation nodes. The topic is also worth a read on its own — he includes a lot of important details about each advanced technique.

5 Likes

You might also want to have a look at this thread:

3 Likes

Ok thank you :pray:

1 Like

You’re amazing guys :pray:

2 Likes