AMD RX Vega

All CPU’s have issues, Intel or AMD have their own set. So lets ignore that, unless as BeerBaron said, you give up on x86 or any out of order CPUs (including latest ARM).

Going back to the GPU topic.

I have RX 480 and RX VEGA 64 in my system, and I render on them without any problems on all recent builds.

Blender released their internal tests on CPU’s and GPU’s . When I get home i’ll repost the link (can’t find it now).

But from what I recall results put the Vega 64 on par with at least the gtx 1080 in most scenes.

Still going the route of 2 GTX 1070’s feels like the best choice.

Had anyone had any experience using the Frontier edition with Eevee?

I am also curious how well Vega 56/64/FE performs with Eevee.

I have Vega64, i’ll give it a try and report tonight

Did you manage to do some tests?

Sorry, started to work on a project and I totally forgot… oops.

emailing my self a reminder to test out 2.8 Eevee engine

So I loaded some of my scenes, and everything worked in Eevee as i was expecting. No errors or crashes. I’ll have to download some test scenes next and test again

I will add that none of the modiffiers work, so mirror and subdiv don’t work.

Still i was able to manipulate light and materials in realtime without issues on my Vega 64.

How about some test with Cycles (viewport rendering, render, etc. any workground needed)?

Thanks.

I use Cycles all the time in my 2.79b without issues on Vega. 2.8 Cycles I haven’t tired yet as I dont have to much time to beta test these days.

I expect that if 2.8 Cycles is = to 2.79b Cycles, there wont’ be any problems.

But you are primarly interested in 2.8 Cycles, or just Cycles in General?

Just Cycles for 2.79x.And I see now you already answered. Apologise.:spin:

… and the benchmarks: http://download.blender.org/institute/benchmark/latest_snapshot.html

No worries, if you want me to test anything else feel free to ask.

Hey, is anyone having issues upping the cube shadow map above 512px on eevee with a vega card? Any time I try, blender crashes itself. (I know it’s wip but it works on my nvidia 670mx)

2.8 in general is not working well right now with AMD cards (its usage will remain largely exclusive to Nvidia owners until they get around to where they can focus more on hardware issues).

In general, Nvidia has a monopoly in terms of hardware that will simply work with new implementations out of the box (AMD is yet to get to the point where their drivers are truly solid).

It also happens on Windows on an RX480 4GB. It crashes to the console with this error:

GPUTexture: texture alloc failed. Not enough Video Memory.Error : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION Address : 0x00007FF668F736FC Module : D:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\blender.exe

I wouldn’t call it a monopoly in terms of hardware, it’s more of a base level of software competency.

The greatest hardware in the world is meaningless if the drivers don’t work. See the rest of this thread for evidence of that.

And even the greatest hardware and drivers in the world won’t work if no one makes good code to run on it. :frowning:

Just part of life.

For what it’s worth I just tested the latest Blender 2.80 64 build on a Linux machine with a 1GB HD7770 and the latest Mesa driver stack (under OpenSUSE Tumbleweed) and it doesn’t crash even after setting the shadow cube map to 4096px, so I have to conclude it’s either the Windows build or the Windows GPU drivers.

I remembered that I tried 2.8 a long time ago and didn’t had a problem (RX480 or RX580 at the time), so I downloaded the 2.8 branch weekly #2 from graphicall (I searched for a later nightly with eevee but couldn’t find) tonight and I can set Shadows size above 512px with high bitdepth without crashing.

Edit: 4096px still crashes

Good news for AMD fans. The company is bringing a renewed commitment to releaseing new Radeon Graphics Cards on an annual basis.

Along with that, AMD is planning to release consumer 7nm Vega models as well (at some point after the initial engineering models are released). People who are yearning for new GPU’s to put in their machine may not have to wait until Navi.