AMD Threadripper moves to 96 cores; Geometry Nodes will never have been so fun

I can only imagine just how complex a node setup you will need to make to bog this thing down. 96 cores and a score that absolutely obliterates anything from Intel in the HEDT space. A Cycles user’s dream since it will add a ton of speed on top of the optimizations it received in the last year.
AMD Zen 4 Threadripper Pro Debuts With 96 Cores to Destroy Everything | Extremetech

Not only that, but all of this power is crammed into a package that needs just 350 watts, a rating not far from what a standard consumer Raptor Lake refresh chip will require. The only thing to note is that with no real competitors, expect to pay a huge premium for the privilege of being able to do things like game while working in Blender while having a render going while editing an image in GIMP (the price tag has not been revealed, but it is clear that AMD can charge upwards of several thousand USD without any real consequence due to its position and its status as a niche solution).

I ask then, how would something like this supercharge your ability to create?

3 Likes

in cycles my ryzen 5950x is about as fast as my 1060 (which finally i will replace next week) though.

so this threadripper probably still will be half the speed of a 4070 or something like that?

of course “unlimited” ram is an advantage though.