Anamorphic

Hi, this is my last render, the purpose was to play with anamorphic lens and learn more about LUTs and color grading.

The scene is the F storm test scene from Zhiyao Chen.

I made the shaders, lighting, the anamorphic lens and post prod.

21 Likes

Great scene. I have no idea why this hasnā€™t received more attention.

@0ptikz
It is well made but it is just one perspective and there is nothing really interesting to watch (eyecatcher).
Thats why

1 Like

@0ptikz perhaps like Archwiz said, thereā€™s not a lot to watch, so if people like it like that my point is reached.

What I feel, is that even without that much in the frame what is eyecatcher is the image itself.
The mood and the filmic (movie) aspect are what I was searching for.

Thanks to all

1 Like

The light and textures are very good. Except for the table (too reflective).
The exterior is balanced just right.
Overall it looks very real.

From an architectural point of view the hanging light in the frame is disturbing. My eye keeps going there. I would rethink that.

I donā€™t know what F storm is so my critique might be off.

Excellent work.

@WeakFredo
too reflective for what?
For nearly black marble i think it is fine.

@mareck
Yes it has that cinematic feeling and it is a great render.
I just wanted to describe why it attracts little attention

Didnā€™t know it was black marble.

@WeakFredo thanks,
For the light, yes itā€™s a bit big in the frame but itā€™s coherant, itā€™s a bit more than 2m high, Hausmannian style apartment (higher doors, windows and ceillings)

For the table I agree with Archwiz, black marble with quite grazing angle looks really shiny.

F Storm is a render engine, and the scene is a reference test scene to compare it with other engine.

@ArcHWiZ thanks, no bad feelings with what you said, I agree, thereā€™s not a lot to watch.

Hey ArcHWiZ,

Do you offer freelancing work? I have a pretty unique project that requires someone incredible blender capabilities.

Amazing work and best!
Zackary

Perhaps not the best place to ask this, donā€™t you think?

This is a nice scene (even if there is no point to focus on), the lighting is good, the window is not pure white (compared to most of architectural vizualisation) and the quality of the render is awesome (in my opinion).

Only two points are disturbing me:
1- The curtain doesnā€™t look like a ā€˜realā€™ curtain, but I know itā€™s not easy to make a good one with Blender (thatā€™s make me think I should try to use Marvelous Designer one day to compare withā€¦)

2- I canā€™t really appreciate the real size of the lampshade. Is it far from the camera and big ? Or closer and smaller ?.. May be it should have been interesting to see where it is hang up to the ceiling. Or adding a bit DOF could helpā€¦

Anyway. Great work !

Thanks Thomas.
Yes the curtains arenā€™t the best, I donā€™t know in wich software they were made, like I said I havenā€™t modeled the scene.
But youā€™re right Marvelous is awesome for that kind of work.
For the size of the lampā€¦ this is a previous test Iā€™ve made:

The lamp is quite big, close to 1m diameter.

By the way, I love your corridor ^^.

1 Like

OK I didnā€™t understand you werenā€™t responsible for the modelingā€¦ Now I have a better comprehension of how the size of the lampshade is compared to the rest of the room, thanks.
And thank you for your comment about my work :grinning:

The render has nice cinematic feeling. Like the shading! Could you share camera settings? Is that cycles or other render engine?

Thanks krsblend, yes itā€™s Cycles (forgot to mention)
The shaders are completely self made.
For the camera properties really nothing fancy, 27mm focal length, slight shift in Y for framing.
What makes the cinematic feeling is that Iā€™ve modeled an ā€œAnamorphic lensesā€, half cylinder with a glass shader.
Downside of that is you only end up with transmission ray for the camera, a bit annoying.

Thanks for fast answear but i didnā€™t get how the anamorphic lens looks. I would be grateful if you could post screenshot with setup. Really confused me haha

Like I said, really nothing fancy.
Making a real anamorphic lens would waste too much of the render I think, so I went for a cylinder. But I surely not understand the whole technology behind it.
So here is the whole setup:

Iā€™m ashamed of posting that ^^
And the shader of the lens is a glass shader, I have my own but itā€™s just optimised glass nothing special for the topic.

1 Like

obviously.
Apart from the aspect ratio, your render has no properties of an anamorphic objective

Your attention to detail is magnificent. I aspire to be an artist like you!

@TimboW Imagine this still image with big horizontale wide flares on the window and the lampā€¦
Itā€™s a choice.
Perhaps the spƩcific depth of field could have add a bit on the building.
I was not speaking about the effects but more on how the lens is construct.

@peridot17 thanks but if you speak about modelling, I havenā€™t modeled the scene, only the shaders, lighting, lens research and color grading.