And you telling me blender is beginner friendly?

Honestly,… the only toxic person I see here is you. If you have 4 years of experience and still face these problems it might not be a problem of the software but of your computer or yourself and the way you work with it. So why posting this “everything is a mess and who tells me anything opposite is just a toxic person” here instead of simply moving to another software which you assume to be better?! What’s the point?

My friend, this is just toxic…

3 Likes

We don’t count the post previous to yours, no? Because the only thing which we can see there are some dude who so confident about blender being top-notch software was literally unable to step further and just was some amount of his time to make a video and make fun of someone.
We can clearly stick a “Toxic free” label on it! Right! 100% legit!

And literally a tons of commentary like “dont like blender? its opensource go code it for yourself! whats ya problem?!”. And “go to team and show them how to do things if you are so smart”, and so on and so on. Or people who are clearly not happy and passive-aggressive when some one bring some videos about how stuff work in 3ds max or maya, and seek how to replicate this in blender. And god save them if they also told something like “look how easy it works in 3dsmax”… No, we cant criticize blender here. Only praise the blender and smile.
Blender comjunity are toxic as hell and i told that as a person who was in 3dsmax, maya, zbrush community, who was in mmorpg community as well which are well known for extreme level of toxicity.
But in blender community all the toxic things just packaged in a beautiful colorful cover with a fake smiles on top.

1 Like

You should concider the possibility that you’re in way over your head. Not everyone can do 3d no matter how hard they try. For some people it will always be confusing and not very intuitive. BTW if you think that other programs don’t have their own quirks and annoyances, you’re in for a surprise

3 Likes

I would say Blender is as begginer friendly as any other complex 3D animation and media app although it probably has more begginer tutorials and courses than anything else.

EDIT. Hey I edited away a lot of my original reply as I think I mis-read some of the original post. Others are replying in a far better and more detailed way anyway.

All the best to everyone.

1 Like

Weight Paint Mode brushes did not benefit of improvements of 3D falloff on surface like painting brushes in Sculpt mode.
That means that you have to be careful while painting, because it is easy to paint a part of mesh far away in depth, but displayed close on screen, from chosen viewpoint.
Without automasking like in Sculpt mode, that may be necessary to use Paint mask or hide part of mesh in Weight Paint mode.
The culprit is not the auto-normalize option, simplifying weight painting by allowing to paint only one group to keep coherent several of them.
Option is disabled by default. And nobody is forcing you to use it, if you don’t want to.

Pertinent warnings is a legitimate request.

But Blender does not have consciousness to tell you ; that your constraint set-up does not make sense for a specific purpose.
Blender can prevent you to create dependency loops, can forbid some combinations.
But it should let you freedom to combine constraints as you want.
If the amount of combinations is enormous, you cannot expect developers to create warnings or exception rules for all of them.
It is not because an inappropriate constraint set-up produce a movement of your rig, not making sense ; that same constraint set-up would not be appropriate for another rig or with few options to change.

This kind of stuff has to be learned from an human. You have to follow tutorials to learn the use case of constraint set-up. You have to experiment with few bones and few constraints to gradually gain experience. Nobody has infuse science.

That does not look like a project for a beginner.
A rigging beginner tutorial would be to rig a ball or a stickman.
And an advanced user would use segments of bendy bones or deformers to avoid to have to manage so many bones.

That is also a very big amount of shape keys to manage.
The default cube of default scene has no shape key. That complexity is not created by the software. It was created by an user.

Spring is a movie produced between transition from 2.79 to 2.80.
Developers are trying to update old rigs to new versions of Blender. But they don’t always do that, as fast as Blender evolves. So, it is expected that python scripts can break.
And Blender 4.0 is a recent release with a replacement of previous Bone Layers system to a new Bone Collections system.
So, your issues can be specific to a certain context.
And rigging streams from Blender may not be pertinent. They are often about demoing new features before polishing or developed features in a state, that will never end up in an official release. They can be obsolete or too advanced.
Unless they are explicitly announced as workshops or courses, don’t take them as learning resources.

I’d rather have issues with Factor above 1.2, than amount of repetitions.
And that is common to all smooth modifiers and sculpt brushes strength.
A too intense smoothing on complex geometry can be interpreted as a negative scale of some parts of it.

Yes. If its deformation is bound to coordinates, that is expected. Sculpting workflow is anterior to creation of this modifier. In theory, if you are using this modifier, sculpted corrective shape keys are not required.
But there are lot of ways to obtain spikes in Sculpt mode. Support of his modifier is not the only issue of Sculpt mode.

Overloading a computer with a too heavy project is a common newbie issue, whatever the power of machine or the software is.
A good recent computer does not mean an infinite power to accomplish on insanely detailed project.
Professional users, delivering Hollywood movies, are forced to optimize each step and use renderfarms.
Not going brute force for everything should be part of the learning.
But you can not expect tooltips, displayed in UI, to be sufficient info about the workflow to adopt.

2 Likes

I don’t think Blender is advertised as being “beginner friendly”… quite the opposite. To me, it’s “a complex piece of software that can compete with the establishment”. If Blender was made by Hasbro or Mattel then maybe I could buy your frustration.

Blender is updated and added to more than just about any other 3DCC, so there are going to be issues, things are going to break, and yes, crashes will happen.

My advice to you is this: Use the Blender version that you find most comfortable, stable, and achieves the goals you want to achieve, while working smoothly with your current PC configuration. No one says you have to use the latest version if it constantly crashes or lags on your setup.

Good luck, and go easy on the caps lock.

3 Likes

Definitely it’s not beginner friendly. Because Blender is unlike other packages such as C4D/Maya/Max, in Blender it’s all pure math and there are barely any tools besides modifiers and sculpting it also has complicated set of hotkeys and hidden features, even the Geometry Nodes is much harder to learn / work with than Houdini ( unless you’re super good at Scientific Math ).

I’ve been using C4D for a bit, 3ds Max maybe for around 10 years already and Maya few years and what I can tell is that Blender is pain in the ass to use sometimes and it might be extremely slow in some situations but also faster in others compared to other DCC’s also some things are way more difficult to do in Blender since as I said it’s unlike Maya/Max so it doesn’t really have much of specialized tools built-in where you can simply click buttons to do the job, but it’s far more stable and unlikely to crash compared to Maya/Max. Honestly Blender has never crashed for me and I never got my project file corrupted because of crash like I had few times w/ Maya/Max.

But I agree, when it comes to rigging/skinning Blender is just super bad at least compared to Maya. Some FBX characters doesn’t even import properly without them being completely broken, while other DCC’s import it just fine.

The worst thing in blender is the lag. You make your project, do some stuff, than you notice project lagging overtime. You hide stuff from viewport or delete it. IT WILL STILL LAG. You cannot tell what causes blender to lag

Could be some sort of memory leak or you’re simply underestimating how much RAM is required for what you do. Make sure to check Memory “Committed” usage in Task manager also the CPU/GPU usage.

Another reason could be reading some cache or other data from slow drive. But in my experience it’s mostly using more RAM than I have so it starts using my NVMe as Virtual Memory.

1 Like

Who are they ?

Also : Define “beginner friendly” for a 3D suite…
Click on one button and receive a cinematic movie ???

A coffee machine does make no coffee until you put water into it, a paper filter (folded correctly) and the proper amount of coffee (not the beans but grounded)… and it doesn’t start until you switched in on… and of course plugged it into a pluf socket… connect to the grid and you are paying the electrical bills…

…so now you aren’t able to do some things because… you didn’t learn it yet or have not enough experience…

You properly do have some paper sheets anywhere and also a pen(cil) … so now… can you write a bestseller just because of this ???

1 Like

Ok, I think all the relevant ground here has been covered. @GIN_PNG , please feel free to make topics in Support for your individual questions. I’m sorry you’re feeling frustrated, hopefully as you take some time to step away and get some fresh air you’ll feel better. I’m going to close this now, as I think enough people have told you the same things at this point that it’s no longer constructive

7 Likes