Andri V's sketchbook

Man, I love your sculpts! especially the cartoony ones. The realistic expression ones are awesome too! How long have you been sculpting for?

Hi Andri V, I like your sculpts! Do you have some tips for progressing in sculpting? Do you train at sculpting everyday?
Thanks.

wow dude your are @(*#ing good! These sculpts are so awesome! Lets sculpt together sometime!

thank you, i’ve been sculpting for 2 years.

thank you, no i don’t. i did a sculpting in my spare time. i think, the best way to increase our skill is keep trying. i realized, my skill is not good enough, but i keep sculpting and post the result to get the feedback. i learned a lot from the community feedback.

wow masterxeon1001, thank you so much for visiting my thread. i feel so honored. i’ve seen your thread. what an awesome work. Sure!! let’s do it .

i’ve been making a cute character for a long time ago but still unfinisehed :stuck_out_tongue: .i decide to upload the unfinished result here. here it is :

Man I love your style, you even manage to make an anatomy study interesting-looking and full of character.
Great job on that last model, too. The face and the expression are perfect, but I think the hair could use some more work. Since its all black and you cant really see any structures by shading, it looks like somone just placed a mop on his head :wink: You could try giving it some more glossiness, or brighten up some strands, or even use mesh hair, which would fit this style kinda well I think. One small thing about the eyes, seemingly the eyewhite doesnt have any specularity, so they look a bit unnatural. The pupils are abaolutely amazing tho.
Currently, both the eyes and this pure red of his pullover fight for the viewers attention, a litle darker and less saturated color would help a lot.
Truly stunning stuff, keep it up!

suboptimal : thank you so much. :smiley:
well, i still have an issue with the eye, still struggling to get a better result. i’ll try to fix it later.

The cute character is really cute…
Amazing work !

thank you so much michalis :slight_smile:

another likeness study, can you recognize her?

At first glans I have no idea who it is, but I can say that is is a very good sculpt.

Journeyman : hmm, i’ve failed :frowning: , i’ll try again on my next likeness study.

it has been a long time since i uploaded my last image. finally, i got a spare time to sculpt.

honestly, it was my another likeness study. but, i think i’ve failed again. :frowning:

Don’t feel bad… I don’t think any of my “likeness” sculpts have turned out yet – even the ones based on myself! The only ones that “kind of” turned out were the creature ones I did in a personal modeling challenge. I say kind of because while none of them turned out like the references (if I used one), they were at least recognizable in the general creature I was working on, if not the specific kind or even specific one I used as reference.

Your work is great, by the way!

thanks gradyp :slight_smile: .

i just finished uploading the timelapse, check this out :

hi andri, your portraits are well done. likeness is hard, as it dependss very strongly on perfect proportions. i see in your timelapse, that you often sculpt in orthographic view, and when you sculpt in perspective you have a strong distortion. so i assume the view has still the default lense of 35. this is very problematic, if you want achieve likeness, since portrait fotos, as the references you used, are usually taken with a lense between 80-100mm. so your reference shows different lense than you use in viewport. that is why it is even harder for you to achieve likeness… furthermore, orthographic view is hindering organic sculpts, since it is artificial as it does not show any perspective at all. our eyes are not used to see orthographic view, and thus making it even harder to judge a sculpt correctly. orthographic view is for modeling cars, desks, weapons, etc all things that are composed mostly of planar planes, not organic things like portrais…

so, i would recommend for your next portrait, set up your workspace to show perspective mode always whilse sculpting with a fixed lense between 80-100. i personally use 100mm. then use the reference fotos as you have done, and try to match them as good as you can. and, finally render your sculpt with a camera having the same lense as you used in viewport…

i hope this helps you, keep trying, your sculpts per se are very good. you will achieve likeness some day, it needs a lot of patience to get there. i still struggle sometimes hard with likeness. it is not an easy task… good luck, and happy sculpting!

Hi Andri V

Your sculpts are already very good and you definitely already have a likeness of the characters you sculpt. Don’t give away who it is though…its more fun to guess…or just know since some of them are close enough to see clearly:) BTW I totally got Chloe Moretz, Scarlett Johansson…and of coarse your Robin Williams one is very obvious. At least I am pretty sure that is Scarlett Johansson, since you have not given it away yet…:slight_smile:
Keep at it…you are doing awesome and inspiring me to get off my but and start sculpting more and posting in a sketchbook here.