Animated displacement?

Hello everyone,

I want to change the Z position of several object by a animated displacement map
i am looking for this effect

does anyone has any idea or direction?

thank you very much!

There was a tutorial for a pinboard like this some time ago. I don’t remember where I saw it but it’s really not complicate.

You just need to use the Displace modifier on a grid-like mesh. As source of displacement, you can use a movie instead of a simple image. On top of that, a particle system. Done!

Done in 5 minutes. (I use a matcap.) On the left, the effect of the Displace modifier. As you can see, you don’t need much geometry. On the right, the same thing with the particle system. You can see the pin used as particle right under.

For the particle system, no physics, Normal set to zero, emission from Verts, all randomness disabled. You just need to emit as many particles as there are verts in the (displaced) emitter That’s pretty much all.

That’s the grid I used. 1871 vertices only. With the particle system on, I reach the insane amount of 2385 vertices… :wink: even with a subsurf level 2 on the pin.

That is cool. That video has a great effect – I want to try Kaluura’s method for this. I sat for a few minutes thinking how I would approach it, and only came up with some ideas which would be distorted.

The only thing I wonder about is that the video images used for displacement might not produce the desired displacement, or might need to be pre-processed is some way. But any way you slice it, it’s impressive.

Kaluura, laziness being a virtue, would you mind posting the blend to mess with on this, my couch day? :eyebrowlift:

@Blenderallday: Lucky you! I didn’t save what I did but it was there when I recovered the last session. (I’m also a zealot in lazyness.) :wink:

Forum Pinboard.blend (207 KB)

And yes, I thought about it too: The video will most certainly need some processing to increase the contrast. IMHO, the closer from pure black and white you get, the better the result.

Very slick. I played around with it for an hour or so. I took a photo of my hand with a dark background and the results were very close to the video. Increasing the contrast did help. The only thing I might change is the shape of the pin. The actual product (not sure what it’s called) has pins that have a head, like a nail, but rounded more, with a longer (relatively) and thinner cylinder shaft. But that is nitpicking – and should be the job of the OP anyway. He/she has got a perfect framework for moving forward with their project, with Kaluura’s pinboard.

thanks!

i have found what i was looking for :slight_smile:
check this out!

http://blenderdiplom.com/index.php/en/tutorials/item/89-tutorial-animated-pinto.

thank you very much!
that was very helpfull :slight_smile: