Animated Water Normal Map (Tileable, Looped)

Hello guys,

I recently created a water normal map animation in blender. It is seamlessly tileable and looped and consists of 120 frames with 1024x1024 px each.

Here’s a video of the normal map in action:

And a render using only one frame:

It makes rendering scenes with water much faster and keeps the viewport smooth, because no geometry is needed.
It’s a huge time saver, but it took a few hours to render the 120 normal maps.
That’s why you can download it for free on textures.pixel-furnace.com.

Creating it yourself:

If you want to render it yourself, I recommend this technique by Haunt_House to create the geometry: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/2858/how-to-create-a-seamlessly-looping-ocean
Remember to displace only on Z-axis and use a tiled ocean modifier.

To render the normal maps, use the Normal pass with the following correction:

(The gray colors are R:0.5 G:0.5 B:0.5)

Have fun.

Edit:
I created a short tutorial video that explains way more detailed what to do. Watch it with captions for instructions.

7 Likes

wow thats frikin beautiful

Thank you very much! It is a very useful contribution to the community :slight_smile:

Wo, thanks!! Look forward to having a play with this and giving that method a go myself for water in the future. Novel approach:) thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

I added a Video tutorial to the first post, if you want to recreate it.

Would you mind putting the full resolution Normal Map in your post for those who can’t access the link?

Hi, I forgot about this post when I moved and improved the website. The water texture is now on textures.pixel-furnace.com (easy to find, will probably always be the most downloaded texture). I updated the links in the first post now.

This is awrsome. Thank you kindly

For some reason I can’t access this website. Could show the picture like this one?

What does it say? Seems fine for me, but maybe I can fix it.

Here is the first frame of the first water texture and another one with stronger waves.

Could you compile these normal maps into a sprite sheet? I am working on a game in blender, but I need an ocean. A sprite sheet would be a great help.

That would be a pretty huge sprite sheet. 11x11 frames with 1024px each -> 11K texture. I’m not sure if you want that, but I walso don’t know how to combine all frames into a sprite sheet, apart from placing them by hand, sorry.

I found this tool a couple of years ago that could do that:

Also, thanks for the water…