Animating multiple object moving on they local axis

I rarely ask questions on forums, because you can allways find somebody with the same problem, from years ago. But not this time. So i recently modelled a Pipe organ console. This console has many stops, which turn different sounding pipes on and off. This cylinder-like objects laying on a curved surface around the manuals (keyboards). The problem i have is that the stops should be move in and out on this curved surface, which movement can archieved by moving them on they significant local axis. Moving each one of them is allready a pain in the ass (i wrote a script to do this, but blender crashes instantly, when i try to run it), but here is the worst part. I never do animation before, so this problem is new to me. When i animate this in-out movement, they moving on the global axis. So here is my question: How to archieve this local axis movement? I tried move along path, but the stops jumps from they original position some random location/rotation.

Hi hirschmann,

moving on local axis is either done in the 3dview header (transform orientation » local), or right when you move the object by hitting the axis letter twice (e.g. G, X, X)
When you have several objects/bones that are oriented differently from one another and you all want them to move on their local axes, then you also need to set the pivot to “individual origins” (also found in the 3dview header).

Hadrien

Thanks a lot, this seems to work! :yes: Its interesting, when i did this earlyer (one by one) and animate them, then they start to move not just on they desired axis, but wobbling around. This means, i should stay on Local axis and individual origins while animation goes on?

Yep, most of the time you’ll want to use local orientation to animate. Not necessarily with individual origins, though - it helps when you are transforming multiple objects at the same time so they move on their respective axes, but say you want to rotate two controllers around their median point - then you’ll use, guess what - median point in place of individual origins.