Animation Node - how to translate a "line mesh" based on time frame one vertex at a time

HI,

I am kind of new to Animation Node … and had been learning mostly from “gurus” tutorial.
However that’s some basic stuff I never really understood … the concept of spline which I think
that messes up what I try to do …

My requirement … to “animate” a “line mesh” by vertex one at a time …
Simply move the vertices 1 by 1 … upwards (Z) by say 2 meter (or unit).

I manage to figure out how I can move the vertices every 30 frames up by 2 units.
However the lines (edges) between the vertices (or points as I they call it in AN) is not translating upwards. I think it is call “spline” ?? in AN …

So basically a “node setup” in AN that allow me to move the lines (edges) that follows the
the vertex moving upwards.

Any advise or tutorial that can help me to “deal with this” missing lines (edges) not translating
along with the vertices that I managed to animate by every 30 frames?

Appreciate some help please.

Hey, You did not post a pic or file or what version AN.

DEBUG node is your best friend - my guess is its (spline) not getting info or maybe executed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCabeZToHuL6HOiR0udxxmTA/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Yypfyx5fKHpd640wPGFzQ/videos

Hi ajcdfin,
I am using 2.93A (also tested on 2.92) with latest AN v2.2.

Here’s the image of my 3D view stopping at frame = 25 , where the loop in the AN is calculated based on frame, which determines it is the 5th index.

I have 2 problems I don’t know how to solve.
1st problem … altho’ the index=5 increase by 12 (z-axis) as required on frame=25, the other indices 1 to 4 that also increased by 12, did not “translate” and stay there. It just comes back to its original position.
How do I make it stay and not return to original position?

2nd problem … altho’ I move the index, the “edges” that connect the vertex did not follow the vertex move (translation). How do you make the existing “edges” to the vertex follow it?

Appreciate help as I am Noob. Also don’t know what is a debugger … are you referring to the 3D view and Loop view I am using as shown in the 1st diagram?

Look forward to some help please.

Hey, Here is my disclaimer, I am on an older version of all this - but I do occasionally use AN for some things. In you first post you mention ‘line mesh’ but also ‘spline’. These are two very different things, ‘spline’ is specific to a ‘curve’ which has ‘points’ and not ‘vertices’. AN will do what you want with either one or both. “debug” node is"Viewer’ node in your version - which is a list of sort, the '3D Viewer" node is just a visual aid (very nice to have though).
My ? is are you wanting to do this with a mesh(vertices) or a curve(points) ?? Your pic of the node tree is too small for my old eyes to be certain. Here is what I would do, start really small on only a very basic object to get it working, then you will be able to translate it to what you need. Diagnosing AN stuff requires a file really, I just think I will not be able to see it correctly - but post it just in case.

Hi
Here’s my blend file … hope you can advise.Animate_Umbrella_2-93Test2.blend (3.0 MB)
I tried on both cube and this simple mesh line. Both have the same problem … just able to move the vertices based on time frame. But not able to move the vertices and the edges (aka spline) upwards and stay there.

Hey,

Staying is the problem ? seems I ran into that somewhere - will have to get back to you on this.
Have you looked around over on the AN thread here ? Also there is this thread too,

Thanks a lot ajcdfin,
I’ll wait for your respond. My requirement is

• get the “edges” related to the vertice link to the vertex that go up and stay
  • also the vertex that gone up by 12 based on my algorithm (loop) should stay up

I wll certainly look at the link you provide that also have AN templates … !! yippee
But as I am new to AN … think it will take me a long while to zoom in which templates
will help the above automation.

Will continue to learn … thanks.

OK, sorry could not be more help, maybe try posting your ? in the AN thread, maybe get a better answer.

ok no worries. Think I will go with Geometry node … seems easier to make this happen.
Appreciate your help …
Note that the AN templates … most of them can’t run on 2.92 version of Blender.

1 Like