Animation offset

Hello, I’ve been using the add-on commotion to create an offset/slight delay for my animations, here’s an example

I basically only animated the first knob then copied it and put an offset on each other knob, the problem is even with the add-on this process is tedious and slow and messy, i was wondering if there was a more elegant native way to do this in blender, this delay effect is a very popular and important part in animating so I’m surprised why blender still doesn’t have a quick way to do it

There used to be. It was called "slow parent’, and it was super simple to use. Unfortunately they discontinued it much to my dismay. It is extremely useful for many things, and the only way to reproduce it, I think, is with animation nodes, unless you want to adjust all your actions manually, which is a huge pain.
One example that pops to mind…cars at a traffic stop.

1 Like

Yeah when I Googled it I found a bunch of old results about using the discontinued slow parent feature, it looked so convenient, I think it’s just one button in cinema 4d since it’s one of the most used thing in motion design

I’m not sure what they were thinking when they decided to discontinue it.

They said it was bugged and never worked as intended. But then I wonder why they didn’t replaced “bugged” slow parent with proper feature to easily get delay functionality for animating. This is frustrating.

1 Like

I used it dozens of times and never had a single issue with it. I wish they would bring it back.

I feel like motion design doesn’t get much attention for the devs to notice, even though it’s a large part of the industry, my guess is most motion designers just quit blender and move on to cinema 4d

User: “What I great feature blender has…”
BF: “It is broken…”
User: “But it works well”
BF: “It’s bugged…”
User: “So will you improve it?”
BF: “No. We will remove it!”
User: :face_exhaling:

Delay functionality is so basic feature in animation (3d\2d) so don’t get why they can’t provide it. It’s so simple to implement and it will greatly improve any animation process for everyone. Few years I am waiting some replacement for slow parent, but developers seems like abandoned it.

P.S. Try this addon it’s seems like it can do what you need:

1 Like

Do you know where we can submit a request where they could see it? maybe they just don’t know how many people need this, also I’m scared they’re not adding it because they want to do it later in animation nodes or geometry nodes, that would suck, a simple button or ui element would be extremely useful vs having to dig into geo nodes

There is site for users to make their proposals to improve blender:

But I think there is already such proposal for slow parent

:roll_eyes:

I made one, please comment and upvote @Modron @CYNIC78

https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/j0Al/

2 Likes

Someone else seems to have a more detailed explanation as well