Anime Character Model

I’m hoping for this to be part of a larger project I would like to do but the goal is an anime-ish styled film of some sort. I’ve been having a hard time with materials and render settings to achieve the style though. This is one of my first human character models so any comments regarding the design or model itself would be awesome.

Maybe just a hint more nose, the space between the nose point and the mouth feels too large to me, but I like it and where it is going.

Oh hey, this sounds pretty interesting. I don’t see many anime themed projects around here. A few sci-fi ones recently, but it’s nice to see some diversity. A few suggestions I have are to bring the eyes and nose a little lower, push the mouth more outwards, and shorten the neck. The rest of the body is very well done, the accessories like the leg sword and backpack look great. The limbs are a bit noodly, and it will be even more noticeably so when you rig and pose it. Zooming in, I see small traces of an outline, which should be made thicker. Hair could use more work as the strands of hair don’t all flow together. If you haven’t already, you should check out Daniel Kreuter’s anime tutorials (might have spelled the name wrong, not sure) as he gives great advice. You have a fantastic start, and I hope to see more work from you.

It’s nice but kinda awkward seeing swords on the boots lol! Knives will do though. Swords must be in the back

Always nice to see more anime projects on the BA forums!

So far I really like the model; the swords on the boots is a cool idea, but they may end up being too short.

The face needs a decent amount of work on it though. I reccomend making it a bit flatter, and shortening the neck a small amount. The lips should be pushed forward a bit, since they seem to just blend with the face right now.

The hips could maybe due with some slight widening, and the arms need more shape (a bit noodly as Omnilord said).

You say you’re having a hard time with materials and render settings, but what look are you going for? 2D anime or more 3D style? Hard to give advice when i’m not sure what you’re going for.

Thanks for the advice. I think the nose lost some with the sub surf modifier so I’ll go back and fix that and maybe bring the nose down a bit in the process to work on the space in between the nose and mouth. Thank you!

Thanks. I really like the style but since I’m learning blender I wanted to try to achieve that in a 3d setting. I’ll definitely go back and work on the suggestions you made for the face. Daniel Kreuter’s videos have been a great help so far but i’m not quite there yet. He mentioned that sculpting has improved his workflow a bit in a video (i forget which one though) which I haven’t done on this model but I’m thinking some sculpting will help with the noodle limbs and other areas as well. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you! I think the sword placement is interesting but I’m considering make them a bit longer which might help for reach. I’m gonna go over the face and everything with a bit of sculpting to address some of the facial features and noodle limbs too.

I didn’t really specify but I’d like to go for something like this I think:

Being done in blender everything will be done in 3d, but i’d like to try to render it to look more 2d. If that makes sense.