Animsys2 branch for linux64?

Hi All,

I’ve been searching high and low for the animsys2 branch compiled, but with no luck. And I’ve also tried to find what I would need for compiling it myself with Fedora Core9 64bit. I’ve found several docs about how to compile it for Ubuntu, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of people using Fedora in the Blender community.

Anyhow, if anyone could help out with one of the two I would be very happy.

• a linux64 compiled version of the Animsys2 branch (that works with FC9)

• a guide for which packages I need to be able to do svn checkouts with FC9

best regards
stefan andersson

I would imagine you would just have to do the rpm command to get the build deps and then just build it.

For svn checkouts just ‘rpm install svn’ or whatever… Not too sure how to do the rpm thing anymore since Fedora just annoys me so I don’t use it and I haven’t used Redhat since version 7.2 or something like that.

All the programs are (pretty much) the same between Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu with some strange naming differences here and there that you might need to figure out but the basic theory of getting your package manager to install the build deps should keep the pain to a minimum.

+1

well, lets see…

for building on ubuntu you would need:

build-essential, that is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

after some googleing, the redhat/fedora counterpart would seem to be:

yum groupinstall “Development Tools” “Development Libraries”

[edit] after another read of my own post i figured it might mean, you’ll have to type all the development tools(compilers) & libraries where theres the “Development Tools” “Development Libraries”, would make sense. [/edit]

[edit2] so, the compilers might probably be gcc and either gcc-c++ or just g++ (not sure witch).

after that you’ll need to install all the other dependancies:

subversion openexr libopenexr-dev libjpeg-dev libpng12-dev libopenal-dev libalut-dev libsdl-dev libfreetype6-dev libtiff-dev python-dev gettext libxi-dev

Do we need to install the latest version of Scons as well, or will build essentials cover everything?

are you on ubuntu or fedora?

and I wouldn’t know, so after installing the “Development Tools” “Development Libraries” see if your gui package manager will list it as installed, if not then see if you can install it from there separatedly.

in fedoras case, though, I’m really not much help though, and I hate it with passion, becaused of its stupid package manager. :frowning:

stefanA: Just a heads up that you may also want to consider trying Blender 2.5 branch, as I’ve ported most of the improvements from AnimSys2 over + added an improved Animation System…

Felix, I’m on Ubuntu, but I read somewhere that Scons 1.0?, whichever is the latest, is needed to build.

ah, well, I’m in my windows boot right now, but I’ll later set up my ubuntu boot for building on this machine then, and let you know what I’ll find out. :slight_smile:

Yeah, svn won’t build without the newer version of scons.

But you’re in luck, they handily include it in the scons dir. I had to do a ‘chmod +x scons/scons.py’ but that’s easy enough.

How functional is 2.5 these days :slight_smile:

I’m trying out the tips that many of you gave, will let you know how it goes.

regards
stefan

It seemed to work fine!

yum -y groupinstall “Development Tools” “Development Libraries”

that did the trick, I think my mistake was that I tried to convert the ubuntu guide. So below is my FC9 x86-64 guide (with the help of all of you). Could use some more information, but I need to animate now :slight_smile:

become a super user with the correct environment variables

su -
password: *************************

always good to have a updated system

yum -y update

install the dev tools that are needed (and some extra ones to make sure)

yum -y groupinstall “Development Tools” “Development Libraries”

exit super user mode

exit

create a directory to use for the svn branches

mkdir $HOME/blender-svn
cd $HOME/blender-svn

check out blender or animsys2 branch

#animsys2
svn checkout https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/animsys2
#blender
svn checkout https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/blender blender

start making magic (compiling blender or animsys2)

python animsys2/scons/scons.py

test the build

$HOME/blender-svn/install/linux2/blender

if you could supply that extra more info(be as clear & yet specific as you can),
then I can update the wiki page(well, if it is f/c specific).

December 2:

December 31:

January 28:

StefanA, let us know what you think of animsys2. Maybe you could use it on your short film.

I will, it just was late last night and I had to get up early to get the kids to school and daycare :slight_smile: I’ll try and clean it up this weekend and post a more detailed one here. I still haven’t checked if everything compiled well (though the quick tests I did it worked fine).

That’s the plan, because I really need Euler rotations.

regards
stefan

no need to worry, there is no hurry! :wink:

Our sources come these days with scons included. To use:

windows: python scons\scons.py [OPTIONS AND OTHER STUFF AS USUAL]
nix: python ./scons/scons.py [OPTIONS AND OTHER STUFF AS USUAL]

where you would normally just issue ‘scons’

No need to ever install scons anymore, and no need to worry about correct versions.

/Nathan