Announce: Pomelo - a text to mesh generator

Sure, I’ll do that. But I will open another topic in the next days for a work in progress and post the link here.

That is exactly the feature I was looking for. Great! I’m a bit ashamed of myself as a Maya user that it didn’t occur to me to just try and hit F …

Hi.
Has anyone been able to successfully build it on Linux?

I have. :slight_smile: Pomelo is developed under Linux. The Windows installer is built by cross compilation. Please open a github issue with copy your compilation errors, and I will try to help you there.

1 Like

From reading the thread-title, I at first thought this was about some obscure machine-learning-driven methodology of generating 3D-models from textual description (so basically this in 3D).

I’m delighted to learn it’s about sth. actually usefull instead. Will give it a try when my current project reaches the stage where I’ll need to model luminous advertising signs.

For now, here’s a name-suggestion: How about Typeology.
(maybe not the greatest idea neither, a bit of a corny wordplay made up from the expressions topology, typography and/or type)
Anyway just a random suggestion (disclaimer: I didn’t check for trademark protection of the name or sth.)

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. But somehow it doesn’t ring to me, so I’ll stay with Pomelo at the moment. Possibly I’ll change it to Pomelo3D to make it distinguished from other Pomelo projects. The idea behind the name is loosely based on a “cameo”, a 2D relief roman statue, and “pango” from the pango project that I’m relying on. Joining these up and with a bit of imagination gave me Pomelo, a roundish fruit, which suits the goal of the project. In any case, it’s all “Humpty Dumpty”, words mean what I want them to mean. Neither more or less. Enjoy!

The following image shows what is expected in the next version of Pomelo. Skeleton smoothing. This takes care of the “deep valleys” in the topology.

1 Like

You could call it Textomesho.

1 Like

I just released a new version of pomelo v0.0.4! This version adds the smoothed skeleton I mentioned yesterday. It also adds the ability to see the mesh edges.

Get it at: https://github.com/dov/pomelo/releases/tag/v0.0.4

3 Likes

Thanks! Awesome work.
Robert

I’m pleased to announce yet another version of Pomelo. In this version I added color configuration including matcap coloring. Grab it from the github page.

1 Like

Hi, I download the Pomelo installer for Windows and install, but app doesnt start because some libs (dlls) not found. Whats wrong?

Hi. Yes, sorry about that. There was a problem with one of the early releases. Try the latest version from:

If something still isn’t working, please let me know which DLL’s are missing.
Good luck.

Hi.
Here on Linux. After running “meson . build -Ddefault_library=static -Dbuildtype=release” it asks me for “nanosvg” as a dependency:

Run-time dependency nanosvg found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

src/meson.build:39:0: ERROR: Dependency "nanosvg" not found, tried pkgconfig and cmake

I’m not sure what to do, “nanosvg” doesn’t exist in Ubuntu repositories. I also can’t find any information about how to build nano svg on Linux.

Thank you, it is works.

1 Like

nanosvg should be a meson subproject of pomelo. But I’m still trying to learn meson, so I haven’t figured out yet to use a subproject without installing it. In any case for both nanosvg and tinygltf (the two dependensies) after running meson they should be in the subprojects subfolder. You can then cd into them and just do “meson build; ninja -C build install”. And you should then be able to compile pomelo.

1 Like

That’s right, inside the “subprojects” folder there are “nanosvg” and “tinygltf” folders. If I run what you recommended inside the “nanosvg” folder I get:

$ meson build; ninja -C build install
The Meson build system
Version: 0.53.2
Source dir: /home/yafu/Descargas/Pomelo/pomelo/subprojects/nanosvg
Build dir: /home/yafu/Descargas/Pomelo/pomelo/subprojects/nanosvg/build
Build type: native build
Project name: nanosvg
Project version: undefined
C++ compiler for the host machine: c++ (gcc 9.3.0 “c++ (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04) 9.3.0”)
C++ linker for the host machine: c++ ld.bfd 2.34
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
Build targets in project: 0

Found ninja-1.10.0 at /usr/bin/ninja
ninja: Entering directory `build’
[0/1] Installing files.
Nothing to install.

I’m not sure if I should do any extra steps there to successfully install it.

Then inside “pomelo” folder, “meson . build -Ddefault_library=static -Dbuildtype=release” it keeps giving the error related to not finding “nanosvg” dependency

I am using “main” branch of the project.