Another Test Fight

Note taken.

I really don’t know if can really improve the animation of this scene. I am trying to learn the basics but I can’t seem to apply it for battle animations.

you’re doin fine. don’t let yourself get discouraged. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t look dynamic enough to be real. If you put in a few more keyframes and make the whole thing smoother it will look a lot better. You also need to work on the red person falling over, that looked like overly-sharp movement and she falls over a bit too late.
One last minor issue is that when they are having the fight, some wierd leg animations occur and they aren’t in a proper combat stance. I did Choi-Kwang-Do (often mistaken as Tae-Kwang-Do) for a few years and the general stance they need is legs shoulder-width apart, one leg behind the other with the foot pointing to the side, the other one infront with the toes pointing forward. Also keep their knees slightly bent. One of the problems with this animation is they are standing way to close to each other for it to be beleivable. If this was a drunken brawl or mabye a boxing match I would beleive they would get that close to one another but as they look like they know what they’re doing, it just doesn’t look right.

I know that this will require almost every keyframe needing to be re-done but once you’ve got the finished thing, it should look a lot better. Just keep in mind that it is very good so far, animating is harder than it looks and takes a while to get something looking good. Just make a few tweaks and see what comments you get from there.

Good job so far!
-Alex

Yeah, animating fights can be a daunting task. I’m trying not to make it so slow and I got a lot of fighting reference videos to follow. Since this is the firs time I got a response from a person familiar with martial arts, I need to take it into consideration.

IMHO… I trained back in the day with Bill Wallace… The figures do not appear to be standing too close for what is happening… Stances never ever survive the real thing… stances are only practiced so that your body gets use to making the ‘attempt’ to have as good a ‘balance’ and control as possible… Savate (the French Kicking style) encourages ‘off balance’ and ‘no stance’ technique… pressing more the idea that one should pay more attention to where your going instead of where you’ve been’… this is also What regular Western style Boxing teaches by the way… there is always some variation… and therefore a wide berth of leeway, when it comes to ‘proper’ stances… The problem with the your animation is timing as many ‘animators’ have pointed out… animation just like the Martial Arts… takes practice… keep after it and you will get it… but if you give up on the first try and say… ‘that’s too hard’ you have defeated yourself before you opponent has even had the chance to throw the first blow… Study… and practice… There is countless tutorials and information on line about 'animation timing and technique… it is the first and most important animation concept… and without it… you will never be able to make any thing look right… It really doesn’t take that long… my suggestion is just simply put together some MetaRigg riggs and have them fight… (forget having them connected to a mesh for now) get the timing and look down then go from there…

Obliviously, I’m missing something. For some crazy reason, I don’t know what that is. I’m going back and fourth between the multitude of videos that I created and I can’t find out what I’m missing.

actually after reviewing your animations… it appears that you have done some improvements… Great!..

It definitely looks better… (not perfect) but certainly better… I think you understand more about it than you might think…

Google a search for the 12principles of Animation and read up (and I think there are bunch of videos out there too) to get more familiar with it…