Any Blender users in/around Bristol, UK? interested in a possible user group?

After attempting to set up a Blender class for students at the collage I attend, and failing spectacularly. I am now considering opening to a wider audience.

Are there any people here who would be interested in a Blender user group/beginners class in Bristol, UK?

Well Iā€™m in near Bridgend, above Cardiff. Thatā€™s kiiinda close, but too far for me to go at the moment. Still itā€™s an interesting idea. Are there any blender user groups in the uk at all?

Are there any blender user groups in the uk at all?

Not as far as I can tell.

Iā€™m in cardiff and wouldnā€™t min meeting other blender users to swaps tips and info etc

1 Like

One maby, anyone else?

Iā€™m in the UK, Hull. I did the same thing at my college about 2 years ago and they loved it :slight_smile:
How did yours fail? was it lack of interest or what?

How did yours fail? was it lack of interest or what?

Mixture of lack of interest and lack of commitment. The first session had 3 attendees and went over the interface basics and messing around with cubes. The two following sessions were no-shows and session 4 they came, only to anounce that they were quitting, which was a bummer.

Anymore news on this?
Iā€™m in the Newport area, and Iā€™m interested in learning and sharing ideas/knowledge.

If nothing more, those interested, could do a meet at say a local community center once a month
and rotate it around the locations.

So one week it would be Bristol, next Cardiff, then Bridgend, etc etc.

Those having trouble to attend could car share, and again this would rotate as with the locations.

There may only be a few people involved initially, but this group could grow on a
ā€œIf you build it, they will comeā€ basis. Get some cool projects to work on,
get it published online and locally maybe even enter the results into film festival/competition.

Just an idea. Flame accordingly :wink:

1 Like

Consider looking at this thread too - weā€™re trying to get a more general UK group going, possibly organising something. Take a look at the map too and add yourselves too, so we can see where blender users across the UK are.

Edit: Iā€™m in Salisbury by the way.

Added to the map :wink:

1 Like

We are in Bristol, me and my two sons.

Added to the map! Just outside Newport South Wales @Tumbledown!!

Iā€™m curious - are unis across the UK not making any effort to shift to Blender now? ie. after the release of 2.8?? It is, by all accounts, a game changer - do they not think so? How come?
The COST savings entailed will be massive, right? Hell, they could even shift to LINUX together with that and save even more!! :smile:

1 Like

Please call it Blender User Meetup. aka BUM.

1 Like

I think most unis want to teach people software that is in use in the industrysā€¦ equip them to be able to slide straight into a ā€˜profesionalā€™ rollā€¦ im with you thoā€¦ the savings alone make blender and Linux worth itā€¦ i hate the idea of having to pay Adobe, Auto desk or Maxon money just to be creativeā€¦

ā€¦and what makes you think B is NOT in use in the industry? Havenā€™t you been READING elsewhere on the site, whatā€™s going on??? :slight_smile: Stuff like THIS, for example:

Which uni you at, bro?

1 Like

Yeah I appreciate what is happening in the industry, and the direction it is heading inā€¦ but it will take a while for blender to be the de facto 3d tool (cant wait till it is tho) and then it will take longer for the unis to catch up as they are always dragging their heels. its about what is industry standard and whats in use in most of the studiosā€¦ its like not teaching the adobe suite to design sudentsā€¦ as much as i dont want it to be the case it adobe is everywhere as is autodesk. Graduated while back at Coventry in GD not 3d. Have gravitated towards 3d through work.