Any cool game engines?

Hii! Do you guys know of any cool game engines to play with, i want to create most if not everything in blender, i tried using TES oblivion construction set and i had fun with it, but it was a bit buggy and made the game crash allot, probably my fault, but i wanna see what other GE’s are out there.

Of course i know that blender has a game engine in it, but i wanna try other ones.

I don’t want to make characters mods and such, i wanna make environments in a good, modern game engine that i can export blender models to, i don’t wanna make the game from scratch, shooters and adventure games is fine, anyone know?

There are a number of tools and tutorials out there that will let you convert Blender models to HL2 md3 files. Most of the ‘bigger’ modern games have their own tools to generate or edit assets. UT3/Unreal 3 is probably the widest-spread game engine for realtime modelers looking to get their stuff into a game. I’ve never used it, but there are probably a ton of tutorials for getting assets into it and making levels for it.

However, if you’re just looking for an engine to set up that will let you make a character run around in an environment, the GE is actually pretty nice. It’s not that hard to get something that looks nice if you’re only goal is to get an environment set up for characters to run around in. The benefit of the GE is that you can get your own animations running easily. If you want to make a character or something that will break apart or blow up or anything like that in some other game, you’ll probably have a lot of headaches trying to get your animations working.

But yeah, I’ve gotten a couple of simple models into HL2 before. It’s not overly difficult to get something simple into the engine, so long as it’s just going to sit there and look pretty. If you want it to blow up or animate in any way, then good luck. I’m sure there are tutorials that explain how to do it, but it’s not a simple task and will probably take a number of attempts before you get something that works properly.

From what I’ve seen on Polycount and Game Artisans, tho, the game of choice for realtime artists is Unreal 3. At least for now. The Marmoset engine I’ve heard is really nice and gaining popularity. The people developing it are currently working on a game. When it’s released I’m sure they’ll have decent tools for getting models into the games. I think Unreal 3 is so popular because it’s easy to get models into it. I’m just guessing, tho, since I’ve never tried it myself.

There are a number of tools and tutorials out there that will let you convert Blender models to HL2 md3 files.

LOLOLOLOL! HL2 uses SMD’s, nowhere close to an MD3 which Q3 uses.

If you want a free engine that looks good and you can create those current gen assets (normal maps, spec maps, etc.) you might want to look at Xreal. It has scripts allowign oyu exprot directly from Blender into the MD5 format. http://xreal-project.net/
You could jsut go for Q3 if oyu wanted as its GPL’d and there are many MD3 scripts out there for exporting. The only problem might be that its an old engine but still a solid piece of work.

I’m sure he just misspoke; anyway, there are also SMD exporters.

You could jsut go for Q3 if oyu wanted as its GPL’d and there are many MD3 scripts out there for exporting. The only problem might be that its an old engine but still a solid piece of work.

Not to mention it runs on just about anything… most operating systems and on very old hardware

Irrlicht is decent if you know/ want to learn C++.

unity is nice and free now.

Yeah, I’ve not done anything with game engines for a while and, as I said, it’s been years since I worked in HL2. The last crap I did was for Quake 3, which probably explains the md3 ‘typo’. A buddy wanted to make a mod / game using the engine and I played around for a long time with trying to make organic levels as seen >here<.

I don’t think it’s that funny, tho.

Actually, thanks for pointing it out, because due to me going to look for that site again, I discovered that the Unity engine will be free once they release 2.6. That’s pretty awesome, and I’ll probably give it a shot.

EDIT - or I could have just looked at the last post and discovered it…

I have awareness issues, apparently…

id tech > unreal
(just saying)

you could try Crystal Space, Ogre, or Horde3D. The last 2 of those are rendering only though, so you would have to do your own physics and logic coding. (and everything not rendering related.)

But remember those 2 engines have very different objectives.

Yeah, I’ve not done anything with game engines for a while and, as I said, it’s been years since I worked in HL2. The last crap I did was for Quake 3, which probably explains the md3 ‘typo’. A buddy wanted to make a mod / game using the engine and I played around for a long time with trying to make organic levels as seen >here<.

I don’t think it’s that funny, tho.

My bad, didn’t mean to sound offensive or anything. I jsut ofund it kinda funny how you say you used HL2 a bit but don’t know what format they use :D. Also the fact that the SMD and MD3 formats are hugely different.

But yes Q3 can run on pretty much anything these days. So its a solid choice, unless you’re going for graphics which you’d have to basically do all the updates Xreal has in order to get close :D. But with tutorials like Code3Arena, you can learn it pretty easily.

I once made a CSS map with custom blender models and it’s a lot of work to import custom models into the HL2 engine (it took me 3 f*cking days to import the first model correctly :mad:).

You started of with a good engine. It’s easy to import models in the game, but the game itself is still full with bugs. I recently had to re-install the game (all my custom mods gone :(), cuz the game forced auto-reboot all the time.

If you need a stable and easy engine, try the older GTA engine. I don’t have much experience with the newer series, but I have lots of experience with the GTA: Vice City engine and my game never crashed!

You could also try the Re4 engine. I heard it’s easy to import character models in the game without any bugs.

Thanks allot, i’m downloading unity and found some sweet tutorials, i’m getting a bit excited :smiley: