Any tip to get fur/hair to more noticeable?

This is Dream Texture made AI-photo and that kind of style I am searching…

I like that other fur is good enough now, but I’m not like fur in the face, in rendered version it disappear (looks like that it is only white skin). Tried to get it better now about 8 hours :woozy_face:, but can’t get it right:

Material I tested:

I know that getting more samples and smaller noise it will maybe work, but rendering takes now 3:52 minutes with RX6900XT and I hoped that it would be much more less (<1 minute), because I’m doing animation and there will be so much sheep and wolfs, that it can come too heavy…

Render settings (light tree is on):

EDIT: Tried
Noise Th:0.01, samples 200, but no help:

1 Like

The video may be helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Link is a YouTube channel for reference.
VFX Grace - YouTube

1 Like

The new geonodes system is 10x better in my tests…
There is an introduction on for it on the blender studio youtube channel.

1 Like

This last one I watched when making this fur here. But there was no help for face fur. Have to check this first one too, thanks!

Have to check, thanks!

It’s standard to use multiple particle systems. Try using a separate one for the face, and for the rest, I would use two. A dense curly short one for coverage, and a longer outer one for the overall look.

1 Like

Here are some things to try:

• In the render settings, go to the “film” section. There, you will find the filter width setting. This setting controls how filtered and blurry the render is. The default value of 1.5 is a bit on the blurry side, try setting it to 1 (1 is perfectly sharp, anything above 1 is blurry, anything below 1 gets more and more pixellated).

• Try setting the denoise prefilter to “none”. It’s the visually sharpest option for denoising (also, it’s faster). The only problem is that it can leave a bit of noise in reflections, so you will have to see if it causes any problem in your scene.

• Maybe add a texture to the fur’s color to have subtle brightness variations between hairs?

• Try the double resolution trick:
    -1 Set the render’s resolution to 200%.
    -2 Go to the render settings and divide the samples by 4, so it takes the same amount of time as it did before.
    -3 Denoise and save the render, still at double resolution. The result of the denoise should have way more detail than before.
    -4 Open the files in your video editing software and reduce them back to their intended resolution. I don’t recommend doing this step with blender’s sequencer, as it doesn’t have very good filtering when changing the size of a video.

If you are using the noise treshold, it can make this method harder to figure out. You could try to manually find a treshold value that gives the same render time as before, or you could deactivate the treshold and just go for 50 samples, because the treshold does little difference when you have that few samples anyway.

1 Like

I guess you didn’t see the last link
(There were a lot of videos, so I just connected to the channel.)

It’s a different link

Thanks for all. Today i got time to test…

Yes, I got it better with this video “are you using this node.”:

But the next problem. :face_with_head_bandage: Fur is inside the mouth, because weight painting and hair particles not working with one side only. I was looking for many answers and in all the same, it does not seem possible to paint only one side. Is this really the case? I tried duplicating the mouth in edit mode and changing its size, but there only came problems, because the animal also have teeth and tongue.

It is not possible to have a single face with 2 sides. When you make a character, you need to model the inside of the mouth and have some thickness to the cheeks, there isn’t really a way around this. The teeth should have their size planned for this, so you will have to change them a bit so they fit a fully modeled mouth.

2 Likes

One thing that’s getting in your way is that the subject is hardly defocused. Only it’s face and the foreground grass is focused, if you want the fur details you should range them in focus.