Any word on texture painting workflow upgrades in 4.1

I keep seeing renderer and such getting features but texture painting is still long forgotten. Plugins fill the need but it’s a messy field.

That’s all you have…

1 Like

I gave up hoping and waiting earlier this year and got a copy of Substance Painter on Steam.

BTW, if one is thinking of going down that road, the 2024 ‘release’ is now live, so you can buy it now and get updates for all of next year. Also, come January, the price is going up $50USD, so grab it now while it’s still cheaper.

1 Like

Huh, thats much cheaper than I thought it was after the adobe get. Even at 200$ thats a great app deal really. I hate to exit blender but I know first hand how fiddly the paint tools and ui is

Yeah, sure after a year one doesn’t get any feature updates etc, but lets face it, Painter has been used for years now to create amazing textures for renders, so it’s not like an old version is suddenly useless rubbish. Chances are any new features will just make doing what you can do now, easier and faster.

Even now, it’s light years ahead of Blender and will no doubt stay that way even if you still using the same Painter version in 5 years time.

Minor downside in that its tied to Steam, but in theory that’s not going anywhere any time soon and I’ve read of people that have like the 2019 steam version of Painter and it still works just fine today, so more or less a permanent license.

Worse case, one buys a new/latest version every 4 years or so, which means even at the new price, you get a fully working Substance Painter for only $50 a year.

I still really hate given Adobe any money, one of the reasons I took so long to make the choice. But on the plus side, I am really happy with the new results I’m starting to get and that’s only from really just starting to learn/use it.

To be fair, one should also look at 3D Coat Textura: https://pilgway.com/product/3dcoattextura as a viable second option for texture painting.

1 Like

I said fiddly not garbage. And its been more than a year for updates. Lets take for example the simplest feature there should be, making a custom brush. It should just read a texture slots greyscale and be on with it. But instead you have to save out and reload a slot. So making even the most basic is a time consuming task.
Anyway anyway 3d coat has a monthly option, a great trial I might go for. Thank you for the notes!

Really blenders does not have to be so complicated. Just a basic section of presets so one click and we get painting, a panel for changing the brush shape live. And a simple layer clicker.
I wonder what happened to that spec that made little configured blender app views.
Id rather stay in blender than pipelining to proper professional apps.

I get what you mean, texture paint is probably going to be improved eventually but it’s definitely not as actively developed as core tools.
You can do a lot in blender but beside modeling animation and rendering it’s expected to rely on dedicated tools when you want the best ones.

For instance, say I have to camera solve a few simple shots, maybe getting a licence of syntheyes is overkill and it’s probably better to stay in blender all along.
Now if I have 200 shots to track with some complex ones, it’s probably going to be much faster in a dedicated app.

Same goes with many tools ranging from text editor, to VSE, and painting tools aren’t an exception.

Addons are really there to mitigate some issues, and they can bring a more streamlined workflow, it’s basically the intermediate step that can be good enough if you want to stay in blender while working faster than what vanilla could offer.

I’m sure paint tools are on the radar, but there is a lot to be done with other areas of blender that are being refactored, it’s probably not wise to add that to the long list of WIP / TODO stuff.

The only hope is someone from the comunity seeing an interest in that and provide improvements just like Pablo did with sculpt tools… But I don’t see the BF working into that since so many areas in blender are being revamped. Namely Geo Nodes, Hair, Physics, Realtime Compositor, Eevee next, Grease pencil, animation tools, asset browser, USD … It sounds already too much …

Anyway, finger crossed :slight_smile:

Well aside from performance as noted in the meeting notes and some image editor tools like marque pixel shifting. Its mostly a matter of UI and some incorporation of addons solutions.

I have not looked at the C source in forever, maybe a lot can be done in python