Anyone found a solution or reason for that texture becomes black setting bug?

Hey guys,

from here and there i had this Bug a few times and never found the reason it ocurred.

As you can see both selected objects display black in camera mode and they are using the same texture.

As soon as i delete the texture from the bottom part, the texture on the top part suddenly appears, which in itself makes so much no sense to me.

But thats not the weird part yet, if i give the wall the tile texture…suddenly everything appears again and vice versa!!?

So my solution for this is to give the wall the tile Texture + the wall texture its supposed to have…but tiles in first place…and then assign all faces to the wall texture through which i get the solution that i want…

Deleting and rebuilding the objects, as well as changing blendfile solves this. As this happened to me a few times already and i never found the reason why i was curious if you guys also experienced this and if you found any reason why this might happen? Rebuilding and changing file can be quite timeconsuming sometimes.

Sadly i cant give you the file to play around .

Have a good one <3

PS: The texture is TilesSubwayStacked001_4K from Poliigon and ofc the setup should be fine from what i see

PS to the PS: Resetting my left Viewport to solid and then back to Rendered Mode Solved it for me…ofc it was sth simple xD

Sounds as if you were running out of GPU memory.

1 Like

hm no i dont think thats it, i’m running a 3090 and there isnt much more than those three walls in that Scene. Also that wouldnt explain why it suddenly worked when adding another surface that uses the same texture since that would need even more memory. Im guessing this is some kind of bug but i cant reproduce it anymore after resetting the viewport.

1 Like

If we can’t create the same situation, it’s hard to figure out the problem.

The way I think we can try is

1. Check if it’s a problem with GPU rendering or if the same problem occurs with CPU rendering.

2. If you have a problem with your GPU, I think you can try installing the latest graphics card or a lower version of the driver.

3. If the CPU has the same problem, it may be a storage device or file path problem.

Other than that, I think you can try using a different version of the blender.

This has happened to me as well on several different files but not consistently. I’ll have to keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out why its doing it. I can’t remember what I was doing with the file that could have led to the issue.

I am running a 3080 with 12 gig. I found the same solution of going back to object mode and then back to rendered mode so not a big issue for me.

1 Like

This is strange, because this JUST NOW happened to me for the first time, and I immediately found this thread right after without even looking.

I’m thinking it’s a random display bug, because the model I’m working on only has the basic new material BSDF node setup on it, and I was able to fix it by jumping out of material preview into the rendered viewport, then back again.

1 Like

If it’s on the new BSDF, it’s definitely worth a bug report

1 Like

It’s the standard BSDF, I’m on 3.4 still. By “new material,” I meant the default you get when you first add one onto your model.

It’s weird, because, now that I think about it, it has to be material related, because if it were an issue with the lights or the renderer, it’d effect the whole scene, rather than just a single texture.

1 Like

I recall threads where textures were going black due to custom normals (usually when you import an object with them)

Also shade autosmooth and weighted normal modifier can have that effect apparently. But i had this issue like Renzatic also with the start materials and newly spawned default cubes. Really weird stuff

1 Like

I’ve had the display go wacky on me on a few occasions, where going from and back into rendered mode fixed the problem. Another issue I’ve had (long time ago) have been with texture generators reading in z=0, so just adding 0.001 to the z coordinate fixed the problem.