Anyone know how to disable confirms for deleting in object mode?

Hi, I understand the necessity for a confirm (warning message) for deleting things in edit mode for selecting faces,verts, edge etc… however I find that not being able to just hit delete in object mode and have the object simply disappear without having to confirm to be a little annoying and disruptive of my work flow. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

An option is “RMB / delete” on selected object in outliner window.

Thanks Richard. That’s still one more action then I’d like to have to take. I noticed the Python script that appears with the delete confirm so I was hoping I’d be able to create a new delete key map using that bit of script as the action in the user preferences as I’ve managed to create similar hotkeys this way. Didn’t quite pan out though. I hate programs questioning my decisions lol. I’m like, “Look I’ve accepted the responsibility for my actions. And I’m willing to live with the trade off for a life time of increased efficiency in place of an occasional five minutes lost and being pissed.”

An interesting philosofy you have there. Personally I don’t mind spending a millisecond clicking my mouse after pressing X but now I do want to know if it’s possible too. I tend to change my mind and try different approaches once in a century.

Thanks Richard. That’s still one more action then I’d like to have to take. I noticed the Python script that appears with the delete confirm so I was hoping I’d be able to create a new delete key map using that bit of script as the action in the user preferences as I’ve managed to create similar hotkeys this way. Didn’t quite pan out though. I hate programs questioning my decisions lol. I’m like, “Look I’ve accepted the responsibility for my actions. And I’m willing to live with the trade off for a life time of increased efficiency in place of an occasional five minutes lost and being pissed.”
When I saw your post it made me laugh given the history of closing blender. Over the years people have argued over the fact that when you closed blender it did not ask for a confirmation. It was refreshing to see the counter request. I agree with your request given you can just Ctrl+Z to undo your delete if you made a mistake so no real risk by removing this confirmation.

Haha, another good point Richard. I’ve always loved the speed and convenience of Blender in this regard. I’m not a fan of introducing these new Windows like safety nets.

McBuff: Yeah, it’s not really a big deal lol. I’m just fascinated with being able to shave off any unnecessary actions to my workflow. The closer we get to the core of what we want to do, the closer we’ll get to actually doing it.

WHY DO PEOPLE ARGUE? And chat, in threads about Specific Things?

If someone asks a Simple Question, and I don’t have the answer, WHY do I have to ask him WHY he is asking?

WHY do I need to elaborate on my own logic in order to persuade him to change his and therefore forget all about an answer to the question??

WHY do I have to reply that I Don’t Know???

Just don’t post ANYTHING.

Someone is trying to LEARN something NEW about something which he knows Nothing about and has to go through lines and lines and lines of DRAMA when he searches for BASIC KEYWORDS.

Like looking for a NEEDLE in a Haystack!! WHEN IT’S ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY.

• HOW DO YOU DISABLE THE CANCEL CONFIRMATION ?

Either post the CORRECT ANSWER, or, if one is 100% SURE, say: You Can’t.

That’s it. It’s a KNOWLEDGEBASE. There’s plenty of other threads if one wants to post OPINIONS.

/

2 Likes

@rober: You are pretty off-topic with your post. Especially on an old thread.

So what is your answer?

And you thought introducing your self to the community this way was a good thing?

jaja, didn’t think about it being my intro. Well, it is now. I arrived googling terms now that I’m learning about Blender, and this place kept showing up. By the time I posted I had read a lot of messages (also on other sites). It is very annoying, if your’e looking for something specific, to have to go through a lot of talk. More so because one knows almost nothing about the topic, and has to concentrate on what one is reading. Or do you disagree?

Now, because I’m not here to chat, at least at this moment, I think my post is relevant @Monster, because there IS a difference between threads about conversations and threads about information. And when you ask a question, you are looking for information. This post is not as full as chit-chat as others, so my post doesn’t have full force, but still.

My answer? You mean to the original question? Well, apparently, It is NOT possible to disable confirms for deleting.

But I’ve just been using for 5 days.

r

Hi rober,

if I do not know how to disable it or if it is possible it does not mean it is not possible. As the other posters have exactly the same problem, they give suggestion how to work around this “missing” knowledge.

This can indeed lead to off-topic posts (as this post).

Complaining about missing facts leads the thread more into off-topic.
If you simply ask:
“Does anyone know a solution?”
it would lead the thread back to track and you might got a useful answer.

But writing a long aggressive post expressing your feelings does not push this topic forward.

My answer : I do not know

Well, I did say it was a rant. I think if you give a warning beforehand then the aggressiveness is harmless because it is not directed towards anyone. It is just venting.

And I’m not going to talk about any posters here but I don’t think that my post was more off-topic than at least 4 of the posts preceding it. So this topic is about being off-topic. If you don’t discern it maybe you are not looking close enough. It is like if you asked: “I just bought a lamborghini and I want to put a sticker in the rear bumper. Does anyone know a store that has good ones nearby?” And then someone answers: “Great! Congratulations on your new lamborghini! What colour did you buy it? I hope it is not blue because i think blue is just such an awful color for lamborghinis. Oh well, maybe you could get away with it on the Gallardo. Depends what tone of blue of course, I think a darker tone would look better than a lighter one. Unless of course you lived at a coast somewhere. The first time I bought a lamborghini I went on a road trip all over the coast of Greece and Turkey. It was such a nice trip. Well of course not ALL the coast but a large part of it. Then I drove back home. Then I sold that Lamborghini, because it had a lot of milage, and bought a new one. Next I bought a lamborghini murcielago. I bough a black one. What color is your lamborghini? oh, sorry, silly me, I already asked you that. Ok… what is the model of your lamborghini? I hope you didn’t buy a Gallardo. It is the less impressive design. I have a yellow Gallardo, but I think I’m going to sell it. I want a red one, I still haven’t bought one that color. I might buy a red diablo.”

I’m sorry but you misunderstood me. First, I was not complaining, second my post was not about missing facts but about chatting.

If I didn’t think my post would serve for something I would have not sent it. By the time one finishes a rant his frustration is dissipated, that is the whole point. But I do think that at least one person that had not put himself in the shoes of the other and had not realized that chatting in technical topics really is annoying for people who are looking for answers, might stop doig it.

Thanks for your answer.

r

This is not only a knowledge base, but a community. There is validity in your argument, however, at the same time limiting in a community environment.

Thanks ajm for your reply.

You are right, I had not considered what you are saying. It is first a community.

But the main reason to have a clean, efficient knowledge-base is to benefit the community.

In order not to limit the interaction between the members of the community, One just has to separate: In these forums (such as the “Support” forums we are in now) one writes posts of the “What button do I have to press to do…” manner, and in these other forums, one writes posts of the “What do you think about the…” manner.

I went to a forum I remembered has a very good “knowledge base”, and people also chat, but they do after giving an answer. Of course, the point is not to turn everyone into a robot.

r

NOw regarding the original question: “Anyone know how to disable confirms for deleting in object mode?”

Something that is working for me is to be ready and when I’m about to delete something, I press “X” and “Return (Enter)” immediately after. One Two. That way even it still involves two keystrokes, there is no time lag.

And you think displaying that photograph of yourself to the community is a good thing?

I am back !

If you change Delete (X) shortcut to D (D is not assigned to anything in object mode), then you can double press D for delete.
Or by default X D.