Apartment Interior

Finally have some time to make another personal project after a while. Made with Blender 2.8, rendered in Cycles with 4000 samples. The render time is almost 3 hours with GTX 1060 + Ryzen 5 2600. Denoised with D-NOISE addon from Remington Graphics, which in my opinion is better than built-in denoiser. Post-production is done in Affinity Photo. Some models are downloaded from various source, and textures are from poliigon.com.

Thumbnail

45 Likes

This looks incredible! How do you get that photorealism? Can you check out my latest WIP? https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/c4qxwt/critiques_wip_kitchen_interior/

As far as I know, there are many aspects have to be considered to achieve photo-realism, and the biggest role in this matter is material and lighting. About your rendering, I suggest learning how to make realistic materials and lighting, maybe do the PBR workflow for your materials if you haven’t already.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Bart!

1 Like

Everything is great, the texture work is amazing, but just one thing that bothers me is that each item stands out by itself too much. It feels like it’s cropped and stamped on the image.
Maybe it’s a shadow issue, don’t know. Especially the chair and the table in front.
Maybe you need some balance between light and shadow. I think your lighting is too strong, and that glittering is also too much, I don’t feel like it’s necessary. Also, If you add a bit of grain, I think it would give even more realism to your scene.

Great work!
Can you share how you did the lighting?

I agree with the light/shadow balance. I will update the scene with the lighting fixed to compare. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I used HDRI as global lighting with portal in each window. I also added area lights outside the windows with blackbody set to 8000 (which later I find unnecessary). For the interior lamp, I used IES for the ceiling lamp with blackbody set to 5000. Other lights are simply area and point lights.

how do you get this very black hole between blackboard doors? Only 0,5cm gap or something more?

I updated the scene trying to have a more balanced light/shadow I think it looked more natural and better than before.

Yes, I just make gap for that. For certain parts I also add bevel node to the materials to give subtle rounded edges to the object without bevel modifier.

Great results!

Do you have a breakdown on the work you did in Affinity Photo? Or maybe a raw render to compare the post production to? I’m very curious as to how much is raw and how much is post.

Thanks!

1 Like