Apply animated armature to mesh

Hi!
First of all, sorry about my english :slight_smile:

I am trying to learn Unreal Engine 5 combining with Blender.
What I want to do is export a rigged and animated robot from Blender to Unreal, buuut there is a problem, the robot has pistons and stuff which work with bones constraints, i have been searching and I think there is no way to export this to Unreal.
One option I think about is send the model already animated, no armature, no modifiers, no constraints, just all the robot parts with their own location and rotation keyframes.

Is this possible? Or there is another way to do this?

Thanks a lot!! :slight_smile:

I think that’s what you will need, probably.

I don’t work with animation, yet, but I think there must be a way to convert your poses into shape keys. I don’t know if that is the best solution cause you can end up with weird results, but I believe that baking all your animation into frames will give you a huge file.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the help :grin:, but I think there is no way to apply that to my problem, i mean, for example, i want to apply the arm movement of the armature directly to the location and rotation of the pieces. The model is a robot, so i dont need any deform, just send the keyframes from armature to mesh to export to Unreal

First: the below suggestion is a bad idea, don’t do this.

Second: you can export to an Alembic file, which is essentially just an animated mesh. This will give you exactly what you’re looking for, but at great cost.

Third: you really should just re-rig and animate this in UE using their tools, it’s the only way to maintain the flexibility of the rig

1 Like

I tried the alembic method but… I think it doesn´t work, i dont see any videos in Youtube which uses alembic for armature, just for softbodys, cloth simulation…
Are you sure this is possible?

And in the other hand, I could learn how to do the armature in Unreal, but as I said, some bones uses constraints etc, have UE5 this options?