Apply animation to a different rig, same bones but different orientation

So I have this very short animation I made using a game character’s rig, but I used the wrong rig thinking it would be easier to animate, the one I need to use has weird bone orientations but that’s how it is supposed to look like in order to work in the game I’ll be putting the animations into. The bones are the same, same name and place but due to the different bone orientations when I apply the animation I made it looks broken, I’ve been trying to make it work with absolutley no luck, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to transfer the animation to the correct rig, if it’s possible at all. I’m attaching the blender file in case someone wants to take a look.

Blender file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19nhwyUbTy0s1MK-Ovyhqkp_6XOHtJ8vS/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

The way to do this would be to add ‘buffer’ bones to your animated rig.
They would be copies of the game rig bones, and each one would be parented to the corresponding bone in your animated rig. You can then add a Copy Transforms constraint to each of the game rig bones to target it’s ‘buffer’ bone in the animated rig.

Once that’s all done, you can bake the animation onto the game rig.

To create your buffer bones, you can make a copy of the game rig, and join it with the animated one using Ctrl-J.

Here’s a playlist which adds a control rig on top of the original bones to make them work. It uses this ‘buffer’ principle (as well as building out the full rig).

There’s also an addon which can help with this sort of thing - Game Rig Tools:

1 Like

Here’s your file with an armature that merges the other two. I gave the suffix _buf to the bones that come from the original game rig.

There’s a script that sets the parents of _buf bones to be their equivalents from the other armature.
There’s another script that adds a constraint to the original game rig bones to copy the transforms of the _buf bones from the merged rig. Setting the action for this merged rig will have the game model follow the animation.

It looks like there are some skinning issues with the left leg on the model (the ‘Right Rig’ is missing the L_Hip bone), but the skeleton moves to follow the animation.

File-Help_Merged.blend (3.6 MB)

That’s exactly what I needed, thank you so much! I did think of the copy transformation constraint but didnt get it to work when I tried, but I understand now thanks to your explanation.
thanks a lot again for taking the time to help, have a great day :smiley: !

1 Like