Apply material to a custom shape which lies on a sphere

Hi! How would you recommend to paint doll’s hair?
I see 3 options:

1. Create right topology which follow hair’s edge. But it’s not easy because I need to keep sphere shape and any extra points affect shading. I have Subdivision modifier so likely to be just quads
  2. Use Texture paint. But in this case it would be just one material with custom texture so I can’t control materials separately
  3. Somehow intersect head with a custom shape I’ve created (Screenshot 3) but I have no idea how to do that

Hopefully somebody knows better solution!

Screenshot - 00458

OK…You can use Texture Paint…as long as you ASSIGN a Material to areas FIRST.
For example…in edit mode…select the hair faces…( un-wrap the UV if needed…since I believe you used a sphere it is already, I also assume you have lined out the edge of the hair, under the bangs you added…if not , do so.) after they are selected…in the material view…add new material and call it Hair…since you are in edit mode…under the material name there is assign select deselect…hit assign…go back over to 3dviewport and hit Ctrl+I to Invert the selection…then repeat above for the Face…

Now in Paint mode…you will still have to add a texture before you can paint ( Diffuse ?)
but if you start with the Hair…then once added it will be Named Hair Diffuse automaticaly as you have assigned a material to those faces! Use the UV window and Paint away! repeat for Face!!

Holler if you need help as this is a lot of info in a short amount of space!!

The problem is - if I do topology like you show it doesn’t make nice smooth curve after Subdivision modifier… That’s what I’ve got. So the question is what is the right topology in this case?

Add the subdivision before you select the different parts…then the hair should be even smoother when you add the textures…

Managed to get smooth curve using Knife and then just applied different materials. Geometry has a bit of distortion as you can see, not a perfect sphere anymore, but it’s not so noticeable. I’ll leave it here in case somebody will need it or somebody can find a better way.