applying english to cue ball

Hi, I wanted to know if Blender’s physics engine can apply english (or back spin) to an object such as a cue ball, and will it apply backward force when it hits another object such as another ball. Or will I need to have knoweledge in how this is calculated?

Wrong section.
Should be moved to game engine support and discussion.

Yep, I don’t see why not.

So there are a few things about backspin:

1. Giving it backspin. This should be easy, an off-center collision will make it spin if it’s a rigid body (presumably with spherical bounds)
  2. Have that backspin influence it’s travel. Well, the BGE uses Bullet for physics, which does friction. This means the spin will inflence the direction of travel. You may have to tweak the amount in the material settings though.

My bad for posting in the wrong section. At first I posted in the Game Engine Resources section after doing a search, and at the time did not realize that there more than just one section toward the Game Engine. However, I did realized it after posting, but I did not know how to fix it. Thanks.

2 questions. The first one, using off-center, I am not quite sure that I understand you. Are you referring to when the cue stick hits the ball, just like in the real world where when you shoot the stick downwards towards the cue ball, this will cause the cue ball to have backspin? The second question. When I use the force field constraint logic brick, and add any of my listed materials in the M/P box, I cannot get my cue ball to move at all. Did I do something wrong, or could this be a bug. I have just recently updated Blender to 2.69 release candidate 3.

Yup you got it.
Why are you using a force field constraint? I see no reason to. Cue-balls generally touch the surface they’re on.

this was because I was not sure how much Bullet’s physics engine can calculate, such as after a collision was made, could the engine apply the “after effect” or is this done with scripting. Therefore, I was applying a force field to the cue ball to see what the came about with the results to my question in theory.

In any event, I am starting to pick up on a few things, which is making things clearer. I am actually now working on building a strength meter that tells my script how hard to hit the cue ball. I would like to develop a system that handles 3 common scenarios that in-turn may happen in a real-life situations when it comes to triggering the cue stick to the cue ball. The first theory would be pulling the cue ball back to its full extent, but only apply a small amount of force, just enough for the cue stick to hit the cue ball. Theory #2, would be to extend the cue stick back full extent and apply maximum force. Lastly, the third, but not least, is a combination of theories 1 and 2. Meaning, you are unable to entend the cue stick back to full extent, but still need to apply a maximum amount of force, or at least more than how much forceis calculated in theory 1. Does anyone hane an idea

I recommend a diagram, some paper, and a physics text book. Work out exactly what is happening, and how to make it happen in the game engine.
The easiest way to make a pool game is simply to use an animation, but I suspect for the complexity you’re wanting, you’ll have to learn how to program in python.